approval for RNY conversation from LAP band

jenrich
on 4/10/11 5:14 pm - Bridgeport, TX
I am in the same boat dear I had the lap band about 5yrs ago and well I think its a bunch of BS lol I am constintly sick and just stuck stuck stuck I can manage to get soup stuck lol I have already had my consultation and am attending a program to get ready for insurance approval.. I am sooooooo dang nervous about the whole issue as well I just keep thinking about the mortality rates and wonder if its really what I want to do!! Knowing that I will be sooooo happy when its all over I guess I am just a big ol chicken.. I wish you the best of luck girl keep me posted!!
Stacey-71
on 4/11/11 12:41 am - OH
Just found out! My surgery is scheduled for May 23rd! Happy and nervous all at the same time!
Stacey-71
on 4/11/11 12:55 am - OH
And I have to add, I have encountered so much resistance from friends and family about my revision surgery decision! It sure makes things harder for me to feel settled with my decision! There is soo much mis-information and just plain ignorance about RNY or any weight loss surgery! I have heard everything from it making you an alcoholic, *i don't drink....at all*, to you can't eat without having diarrhea, to you'll have stomach pain and be incontient of stool!! UGH! I am so tired of hearing from someone who knew someone who knew someone who had a complication with RNY! 
So.... anyone out there have a "normal" or even "good" experience with RNY revision surgery? Please leave me a comment! I promise you that after I have my surgery, I will pay it forward by sharing my personal experience with others to help inform them and maybe even comfort them in their decision making process. Its tough!
and I have to add, my husband supports me and this revision decision. And he knows from living with me the past 21 yrs my struggles with weight!  It's just hearing from aunts, and my grandmother and even my mother who think I'm crazy and should just "diet"!
trish419
on 4/12/11 12:20 am
I just had RNY on March 15th revision from lapband and it has been a journey but I great one so far. The only complication I had was nausea after surgery (thanks anesthesia). I have learned a new way to eat (small portions) but I can have a little of everything, which with the band was not possible. I still have not and will not try pure sugar due to the dumping syndrome (hear say) and that's my evil....so I would rather not know... (my choice) I have lost 22 lbs since surgery so that's great. I am 5 lbs away from being under 200 lbs.

I do have to admit in the beginning I was so scared wondering if RNY was a good idea... What if I died was my biggest thing but when it all came down to it I needed the weight loss and I couldn't do it on my own. I at least owed that to my daughter who always wants to play and run (1 year old).

After the surgery I was like "what have I done" not because of the surgery (it went great) but the Nausea was horrible. As time passed it all has worked out wonderful... and YES I would do it all over again.

Stacey-71
on 4/12/11 1:49 am - OH
Thanks so much for replying! I have an app. with my surgeon on the 29th, but since I know I'm approved, I just have so many questions and am nervous and excited and just want to have answers yesterday and I love hearing from people who have had the surgery.
trish419
on 4/12/11 3:20 am
Well if you want ask me and I can tell you what I know...

aanmarie
on 4/12/11 3:59 am - NY
Hello
I just had my revision on 4-4-11.I had the lap band in 06 and never had restriction and absolutely hated getting stuck slimming the whole bit.I also have puedotumor cerebri ,so it was either weight loss surgery or brain surgery for me.I'm a new RN Yer so I can just tell ya what I feel so far.First I made sure I had a great reputable surgeon.I was scared to death.My family was not crazy about another weight loss surge but they saw how I suffered with extreme headaches,although not happy they did come around.Right after the surgery I had those omg what did I do feelings,but I am ok with my decision now.It wasn't really pain ,but a very very uncomfortable feeling afterward.I do think you should take at least a week off if you can.It's hard to sit for to long after and sleeping is rough so you may want to be pre pared for that.Please keep in mind you are having 2 surgeries plus scar tissue removal all in one.Best of luck to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics