psych eval should i tell the truth

Tammy R.
on 4/12/11 10:58 am - Covina, CA
ive already had the lapband for 3 years and i am revising to rny. My surgeon has his own psych that is mainly a bunch (175) questions. Some of them have to do with meds, depression, memory, panic, and anxiety, I take all kinds of meds for those. Im not sure I should tell them because I dont want to get this close to my revision andfail because I gave the wrong answers. My depression hasnt really been about my weight but recently I just want to get the weight off because I cant stand being fat anymore. What do you think?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

kjfras
on 4/12/11 11:32 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Lying never gets you anywhere in my book.

Being honest with yourself and others is vital.  The good news is that you are on medications for these issues and that's a good thing - it means you are proactive about getting help for the issues you are facing and not ignorant about what you need.

I wish you luck on your psych eval.  I know it seems worrisome but just tell them what you honestly feel and go forward...I think I only know 1 person in about 184 people I've met that had RNY or DS surgery that have failed their psych visit and that person failed because she WASN'T taking her prescribed medicine and she admitted to it.  The surgeon wouldn't do her surgery because if she couldn't take her regular meds she wouldn't take the vitamins the RNY requires to stay healthy. 

Honesty is always the best policy!!!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

georgiabornpeach
on 4/12/11 1:31 pm - Lake Park, GA
You should tell the truth.

I had a VBG in '98 and I am bipolar, have borderline personality, and PTSD, and yet I passed the psychological evaluation for my revision to RNY(which I had on 11/8/10).  The psychologist who done my psych eval said it is not her job to fail me, but to make sure I was ready for the revision.  I have been in therapy since around 1990 and am still in therapy.  The only thing the psychologist recommended for me was more frequent follow-up with my therapist after surgery to help deal with issues that might arise as a result of the RNY and the weight loss.

I lost 60 lbs before surgery and have lost a total of 139lbs(counting the 60).  I now see my therapist once a week.  There are no right or wrong answers as far as the psych eval goes.  I would however, if the test is interpreted by the surgeon and not a psychologist, request to have a psych eval by a psychologist and not just the surgeon.

I wish you the best of luck.  Hang in there.  A revision is well worth it.
Hislady
on 4/13/11 10:18 am - Vancouver, WA
If you lie you only hurt yourself! There are hundreds if not thousands right here on OH that are on a multitude of psych drugs. The docs can't properly treat you if they don't know the whole truth. They are there to help you not to ruin your life. So do tell the truth it can only be to your advantage!
Holly O.
on 4/17/11 2:40 am - FL
Tell the truth!!  You will be fine........depression, etc. is common for overweight people.  Some people are biopolar........they don't hold those things against you.  Just be yourself and tell the truth!!
   Holly                                      
Most Active
Recent Topics