Never thought I would be in this forum

littlebiglife
on 6/6/11 2:01 am
I used to visit this website daily back in 08' excited about my upcoming surgery. I decided on the RNY because that was most common, and thought that was the best decision for me.

After being approved I would see so many on here raving about the DS (duodenal switch). Of course I was intrigued & curious and to be honest it sounded like it was more suited for me than the RNY. But after waiting to be approved & all the tests, appts. etc (and no surgeon in my area doing that procedure) I didn't want to wait any longer and  went ahead with my RNY.  Now I feel as though I made a big mistake. And before anyone chimes in about how "I failed, my tool didn't" you are absolutely right & I know that.  I'm saying I chose the wrong tool for me.

I started out at 307 December 08 and my lowest weight was 240 in August/September 09. No where near where I aspired to be. Right now I'm 5mos pregnant, but before my pregnancy my weight was 265. So I was definitely going up and no longer losing. Able to pretty much eat what I want. 

Clearly I cannot do anything while pregnant, but I want to start researching my options now as we all know this process can be quite arduous. And I have no clue about the hoops I will have to jump through for a revision, insurance etc. When I had my RNY I had BCBS of California and getting approved was not that difficult. We have since moved to Missouri last November & our new insurance is Aetna.

So I'm asking for advice, similar stories, whatever you have to contribute I would more than appreciate it. Right now I'm obviously considering the DS, but also looking at the Stomaphyx? 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, I hope this makes sense as I've had a 5yr old climbing all over me while typing this out ;)

Thanks!
-Amy

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 4:03 am - Bayonne, NJ
I answered over on the DS forum. :-)
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 4:12 am - London, United Kingdom
Hi littlebiglife, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling.  There are some are RNY to DS experiences here http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4321652/If-you-ar e-considering-a-revision-from-RNY-to-DS-you-should/ they're bad, but I think this is worst case scenario stuff.

I've thought about the ROSE or POSE technique as well as StomaphyX and the concensus on these is that they don't work.  ROSE/POSE I believe is slightly better than StomaphyX in that they tighten the opening and closing to your pouch, but from what I hear people only lose 20lbs and then gain it back again when they lose that initial restriction.

Long term DS is the most effective, but a revision makes it trickier.

Good luck with your search. 
littlebiglife
on 6/7/11 1:45 am
Thank you so much ladies!
ebanks
on 6/23/11 8:42 am - Glen Daniel, WV
I am having the same issues! I hope you get more response from your post, it will help me a lot too! I could have written what you wrote word for word!
Most Active
Recent Topics