XPost - Final Consult - Having Revision Surgery August 15

Nannette
on 8/4/11 12:40 am - Toms River, NJ
Hi Everyone -- I've been lurking here on the Revisional board for a couple of months now, so you may or may not 'know me' but here's my story shortened to the Reader's Digest version.  --

Had RNY in June 2003 with Dr Heather McMullen at Staten Island University Hospital, at a starting weight of 340, (buried my husband in May 2004), lost 180 pounds within 18 months to 160 pounds.  Insurance covered 100% of RNY.  Coincidentally, Dr McMullen was doing DS at the time, and although I made myself familiar with it, my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I dismissed it -- Hindsight now!  STUPID.....

Had all of my plastics in 2005.  Insurance covered most of LBL and I self-paid (financed) for other procedures.  Maintained my weight through 2006 (remarried in June 2006).

Started regaining in early 2007, never feeling any restriction, got full eating, but shortly after was hungry again and could re-eat the amount I just ate!  Had endoscopy done which showed excessively enlarged stoma, and slightly enlarged pouch.  At 195 pounds, I saw Dr Shawn Garber in LI and had Stomophyx in October 2007 -- Self-paid -- What a RIP-OFF!  I was grasping at straws -- Did absolutely nothing for me -- I basically threw away $9K!!!!!!

Fast forward to 2011 -- I am currently at 225-230 pounds - gaining about 15 pounds per year, and desperate not to let all that I've already done go to waste -- started researching revisions.  Checked out BOB - dismissed rather quickly.  Checked out DS -- realized that was my last shot!

Met with Dr Greenbaum in NJ early this year -- he said I hadn't gained enough weight back, and that he was cutting back on revisions.  Met with Dr Roslin couple of months ago, provided him with all copies of past surgical reports, endoscopy and blood work, and he agreed to take me on. 

JOY -- (not for long) -- Come to find out that my medical insurance with small firm employer that I have been with for last two years has a Bariatric Exclusion against any surgery, as well as complications from past bariatric surgeries!  Tried several things to get around it, including getting on my husband's plan, which although they cover bariatric surgery -- is an HMO and does not have ANY out-of-network benefits.  Dr Roslin's office tried to see if they could get an exemption --  NO GO -- which means I am SELF-PAY!  OUCH>>>>>>

Decided I'm worth it -- and will take out money from retirement IRA that matures in December -- in the meantime, it's going on credit cards......Definately scared that any complications, however minor, could financially devastate me -- Total cost will be approximately $39K.  Hospital charge just went up another $1,500, plus a new NYS tax of $3,500 within last three week.  Oh well, guess I'm a gambler, but asking for prayers and good thoughts anyway!

Met with Dr Roslin yesterday for my final consult -- surgery scheduled for August 15th -- Here's how I understand the procedure, but many of you will probably be able to enlighten me further.  He will reconstruct my stomache into sleeve from unused part left behind from RNY (piecing portion of pou***** - and reinstate my pyloric valve.  He will then do traditional DS -- he mentioned lenghs of 125m for one, and 150m for other (although I'm not clear on which is which).  He said that there will be three connections/reconnections involved.

He briefly mentioned a type of DS being done in Spain with the intestined looped, that is a bit easier to do, with less connections, that he had done only once, but was very optimistic about, but gave me the choice.  I had read about this on this site, but when he mentioned it, he said my body language spoke volumns and he would do the traditional DS instead.

So, I have ordered my vitamins and some protein drinks -- let my job know that I will be out for three weeks (that's all I can take off reasonably), and will make the surgeon and hospital pre-payments next week.  The balance will be billed to me after the surgery.

I'll be getting myself to the hospital day of surgery by bus from the Jersey Shore -- day of dismissal, I'm hoping my sister or a friend can pick me up to drive me home.

I'll take any well wishes, hints, tips, etc -- I've read the DS Facts and other info you guys routinely give to pre-ops and newbies -- Thanks guys.

Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/4/11 2:17 am
I agree - you ARE worth it.

I'm glad you are getting the surgery you need, and appreciate your post here as it can help inform others before they make a decision. 

Now, come join us on the DS board! I think there may be more people there that have been revised from other failed surgeries, than there are virgin DSs at this point.
Judi J.
on 8/4/11 2:34 am - MN
Nannette, I'm so excited for you and you ARE worth it! It just sucks that insurance doesn't cover it but I am so happy for you and I've only heard good things about Dr. Roslin

Judi
Cheryl N.
on 8/4/11 2:43 am - Des Moines, WA
Did you ask if the hospital will give discount if you are a self pay patient? most hospitals will give you a reduced price if you are cash only patient and pay upfront?

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Nannette
on 8/4/11 6:32 am - Toms River, NJ
The price I was quoted is the 'discounted' self-pay price -- unfortunately......

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

teachmid
on 8/4/11 7:54 am - OKC, OK
Congratulations and best wishes. I was self pay for my DS revision last December. My basic cost was $27,500 for surgeon and hospital plus the cost of the pre-op work-up (labs, chest x-ray, EKG, psych consult) that myinsurance denied plus travel. It was worth every penny!

I worried about post op complications too,and fortunately had none. There are risks associated with everything and I certainly was dying a slow death and feeling horrible before.

Good luck.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

heathercross
on 8/5/11 2:30 am - New York, NY
 You are worth it!  Let me know if you need anything. As you know, Lenox Hill is 5 blocks from my apartment. I will come check on you if you want me to.

Email me if you need anything.

Heather

Nannette
on 8/8/11 12:48 am - Toms River, NJ
Nannette
on 8/8/11 12:49 am - Toms River, NJ
Heather -- I would absolutely LOVE if you could come check on me while I'm in Lenox Hill -- besides seeing you again, I will be alone for the entire time I'm there as my family and friends are in South Jersey -- not expecting nor asking them to make the trip.

Thank you very much.
Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

heathercross
on 8/8/11 4:32 am - New York, NY
Hi.  Send me a private email ([email protected]) with your last name so I can find you and also the length of your stay :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics