Poor weight loss after band to sleeve revision surgery?

pebbles4388
on 8/20/11 4:05 am, edited 8/20/11 4:06 am - MA
VSG on 01/12/12
Hi everyone!

I was jus****ching a video on Youtube posted by Endobariatrics, and Dr Alvarez was saying how band to sleeve revison surgeries sometimes can't be done all at once because of scar tissue, and that the weight loss of the patients who do it all at once can be poor compared to patients who have never had the band and get sleeved first.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Endobariatric#p/c/DCC7DC6C03E946 9B/8/VXAOV4nz9qE

I'm a little confused and, I'll admit, upset, because after reading through so many posts about revision surgery, I never read any posts about slow weight loss after revision surgery, band to sleeve. I'm calling my surgeon on Monday, because he never mentioned any of this to me. I know there are greater risks of complications with band revision, but the poor weight loss??

I'm scheduled for band to sleeve revision in January 2012, and this video threw me for a loop!

Any input from those who've gone before me would be greatly appreciated!

Banded on 11/02/06. Looking forward to a revision to VSG.  

TamaraL
on 8/20/11 4:21 am
any revision surgery your weight loss may be slower.  #1 is because you probable aren't as heavy when you have the revision.  I started out with lap band at 272 and lost down to 218.  I revised to RNY in October 2010 and have lost 60 pounds.  I have 20-30 more pounds to lose.  

There are many of us that lose good the first few months and then it slows.  I lost good the first 3-4 months and then would lose about 3-4 pounds/month.  I would rather lose slow and keep it off than to just drop weight and then gain it back so for me the slow rate has been the healthiest form my body, heart and lungs can take.  I do exercise.  Last week I ran 2 1/2 miles on 2 different days. 

I tell anyone that is revising that if you have a psychologist on your team, meet with them, talk about why the band failed.  I can honestly say that 85-90% of my problem was  the band and 10-15% was my fault.  I had reflux with the band even with no fill and problems with esophagus and food moving thru.  In the end I did not eat right because I was throwing up so much!!!

Tamara

MsBatt
on 8/20/11 5:03 am
Yes, revisions of any kind tend to result in slower weight loss than do 'virgin' procedures. Are you familiar with the mechanics behind why yo-yo dieting messe up our metabolism? Restriction procedures (Band or Sleeve) are essentially just enforced diets, and can have the same damaging effects as a 'regular' diet. Thus, your Band affected your metabolism in much the same way as a low-calorie diet, and switching to the Sleeve is basically just changing your diet (from the point of view of your metabolism.) Your body is already accustomed to living on reduced calories.

If you have a lot to lose, you really should consider a procedure that also includes malabsorption, such as the RNY or the DS. (The DS is basically the Sleeve plus malabsorption, and it has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.)
pebbles4388
on 8/20/11 5:54 am - MA
VSG on 01/12/12
Thank-you, ladies, for your responses. 

Banded on 11/02/06. Looking forward to a revision to VSG.  

C J
on 8/21/11 12:53 pm - Franklin, MA
Not sure about the "poor weightloss" but...   I am considered a "slow loser"

I revised from Band to RNY back in January - I fought with my insurance company for months to get a sleeve revision and was ultimately denied.  My surgeon agreed that RNY was a better choice for me after having a band which left a significant amount of scar tissue.

You should discuss the advantage of alternates surgeries after having been banded already.  Sleeve vs. RNY vs. DS

I did crappy with my Band - but with RNY I have no choice to be compliant!
I need MORE than just restriction found in a band or sleeve
I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 12:59 pm - San Jose, CA
Unless you are revising from a SUCCESSFUL banding (4+ years out without significant regain) due to mechanical failure of the band, the data strongly suggest that restrictive revision procedures after a restrictive primary procedures are much less successful.

And I wouldn't have an RNY if you paid me a million bucks.  Make sure you understand your options CLEARLY.  I would ONLY consider the DS myself.
DonnaCrosland
on 8/25/11 10:08 am - WA
Wow that is totally opposite what my doc (Dr. Ortiez) is saying.  I had a band for 8 years - lost 175 lbs...gained 50 back due to a slip.  Went down on July 1st to get a revision - and due to scar tissue have to wait now (with the band out****il Oct to get the sleeve.

I would talk to another doc about this one....any revision is going to probably be a bit slower - for all the reasons others posted...but you get a new tool that works and you work it..
Most Active
Recent Topics