To revise or not?? Advice please.

fairy_kissez
on 8/25/11 11:57 am - Albuquerque, NM
I had my band placed 2.5 years ago and I have loved it. I have lost over 100lbs with my band. I recently was diagnosed with lupus, my surgeon says that the band has to come out and suggests having the RNY done. So if anyone can give me advice I would so appreciate it.

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/25/11 1:50 pm
Since you did well with a restriction only procedure (the band) then have you considered the other restriction only procedure, which is the sleeve?

Not all surgeons do it, so you may have to find another surgeon. I'd have gone with the sleeve, but had a messed up metabolism and needed restriction plus malabsorption, so I got the DS.

I see too many people here with RNY problems, and too many on the DS board that are revisions from the other failed surgeries, so I'd only go with sleeve or DS myself. 
MsBatt
on 8/26/11 7:34 am
I too urge you to consider the Sleeve. Unlike the RNY, it would leave you with a much smaller, yest still fully-functional stomach, AND the ability to still take NSAIDs. There are many, many medications that are contraindicated by the RNY, and none with the Sleeve.
Pupcake !.
on 8/28/11 5:58 am - Stranded in, IA
Ms Batt-I understand about the NSAIDS. 

Could you please let us know about the many many other medications that cannot be taken with the RNY?

About the revision- It sounds like you were very successful with the band.  Have you been able to maintain?  When they remove the band will it be fairly uninvasive or a pretty big surgery?

If removal is easy.  Perhaps wait and see if you are able to maintain your weight loss without another surgery.

If it is a major surgery to get it out then I'd chose what to replace it with and do the restrictive surgery at that time.

If the stomach is pretty much intact I'd opt for the sleeve.

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

MsBatt
on 8/28/11 7:10 am
When I said "many, many medications" I was primarily thinking of all the OTC meds that contain NSAIDs---even Popto-Bismol has them! They're sneaky, in a lot of things you wouldn't expect.

But there are also thins like extended-, sustained-, and delayed-release medications that don't work well with the RNY,as well as  some forms of oral contraceptives and some anti-depressants.

Here's a partial list of NSAIDs:

Aspirin (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)
Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)
Choline salicylate (Arthropan)
Celecoxib (Celebrex)
Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)
Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)
Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)
Diflunisal (Dolobid)
Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)
Fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)
Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)
Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)
Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)
Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's Pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)
Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)
Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)
Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)
Oxaprozin (Daypro)
Piroxicam (Feldene)
Rofecoxib (Vioxx)
Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)
Sodium salicylate (various generics)
Sulindac (Clinoril)
Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)
Valdecoxib (Bextra) Note: Some products, such as Excedrin, are combination drugs (Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine).
CarmelCandy777
on 8/29/11 12:24 pm
Wow, I had a RNY in 2003 and am now considering a revision, I've never had any problems with the medicaitons that I've used that you have listed.  What are some of the usual complications that people have?
MsBatt
on 8/29/11 1:51 pm
Some people don't---but using NSAIDs CAN lead to ulcers, even in the remnant stomach. Count yourself lucky!

What sort of revision are you hoping to have?
smileyjamie72
on 8/30/11 6:19 am, edited 8/30/11 6:20 am - Palmer, AK

Ms Batt-

THANK YOU so much for putting this out there for all of the potential revisioners to see!!!!!

As a current RNY patient -- looking to revise to DS, still struggling with insurance companies to get approved.

Anyway=== 

I was just off of work for 2 weeks due to having a physical job & had an inflamed bursia sack on my right hip.  Not being able to take NSAIDS leaves ALOT out.  Also some forms of steroids - heck, who wants those weight gainers anyhow?

Moral of this post is= I cannot take NSAIDS, and had to bee off of work for 2 weeks.  Instead of just using ibuprofen & aleve, I lost 2 weeks of work.  Not to mention the pain.

OUCH!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 1:00 am
sounds similar - but i was diagnosed w/fibro & IBS, however i'm revising to the sleeve.

i've done fine w/restriction only - so to me, the sleeve is a no brainer & would look into it, since you were very successful w/the band.

nursegirl2001
on 8/30/11 6:53 am - Wichita, KS
1 Year ago,July 28, 2010 I had the gastric bypass Roux-En-Y. At the start I weighed 346lbs and I now weigh 243lbs but can't seem to lose any more weight.....what must I do to get a revision and how soon can I get a revision?
Most Active
Recent Topics