anyone have revision aftering having lap band surgery

ceedott
on 8/25/11 3:13 am - PA
how do you go about getting revision surgery from lap band to vsg or gastric bypass and what insurance covers it
sandy_mt
on 8/25/11 3:34 am
 You'll need to contact your insurance company and get a detailed outline of what your plan covers.

Sandy

ceedott
on 8/25/11 11:43 pm - PA
thanks i will do that
TamaraL
on 8/25/11 10:30 am
I had my surgery January 2009 for lab band.  We tried fills for over 2 years.  When I went in to see him and explained that I was so tired of the band and wanted to revise he was also ready to do the surgery. I had heart burn and nothing cured it.  I had had 3 different surgeons look at my band and they all said the same thing.  My esophagus was not emptying food to the stomach. Could never get to restriction.  Either was too tight and couldn't swallow my own saliva or so loose I could eat everything in sight. 

So first talk to your dr.  Then find out if your insurance even covers revisions and when they will consider revision.  Find out what surgeries they will cover. 

Blue Cross Blue shields will not cover the sleeve right now but my understanding is they are supposed to start paying for sleeves soon 

ceedott
on 8/25/11 11:42 pm - PA
what kind of insurance do you have and what type of revision surgery did you get and was recommended from your dr? and my problem with the band is that i'm constipated all the time, i feel like when i eat certain foods it get stuck and i'm in pain so i've been taking antiacids every other day and i gained 30lbs back and i only have 1 feel left, and i'm having pain in my stomach around my port like soreness..i think now looking back i should have gotten a different surgery..i don't know what to do
TamaraL
on 8/26/11 12:34 am
I did lap band to RNY.  It was recommended by surgeon to have RNY.  Could not have the sleeve because of problems with esophagus and sleeve. 

I have blue Cross blue shields.  They cover band, RNY, and Duodenal switch if BMI is 50 or above.  Some people have appealed the DS requirements and gotten the surgery with lower BMI.    Do your research and decide what surgery is best for you and also talk to your surgeon.  Take questions to him/her.  My surgeon was very willing to answer all of my questions.

Tamara

ceedott
on 8/26/11 2:27 am - PA
okay next questions..what kinds of things is the inurance looking for to even consider a revision?
TamaraL
on 8/26/11 3:00 am

I think blue cross looked at percentage lost and problems I had had.  The RNY surgery has ended up much cheaper than the lap band because of the problems I was having.

Tamara

mjst220
on 8/26/11 5:41 am
Tamara ,
I too have bcbs so maybe mine will get approved also. Can I ask how much time did you have to take off or recooperate? I have a 6 and 9 yr old that are both into sports and very athletic that i have to run all over lol, and I am in school - again. Just wondering what my downtime will look like. I am doing band to RNY also.
TamaraL
on 8/26/11 8:35 am
I took 2 weeks off, just like I did with the band!!!

I have to say I had lots of energy week 1, walked at mall on day 3 and by day 4 walked 3 miles.  Second week I was exhausted and sore.  Slept in recliner for 2 weeks but i did that with the band.

Tamara

Most Active
Recent Topics