Follow-up care

sknd34
on 9/26/11 9:49 am - West Fargo, ND
For those who self-paid for their revisions, do you pay for you follow-up care (labs, dr appt, scopes if needed, etc) also?  Trying to decide if selfpaying for a revision is an option. If I only have to pay for the surgery it self and can negotiate a price, it might be an option, but if I have to pay for follow-up care and any potential issues for the rest of my life, then I don't know if it really is an option.  Any information is appreciated.
Steph
Hislady
on 9/26/11 11:41 am - Vancouver, WA
I think it totally depends on what insurance you have. If it has a bariatric exclusion then they probably won't cover anything. If it does cover bariatric things it "may" cover but no guaratntee. Since you say you would have to self pay for the revision I guess your ins. doesn't cover bariatric so they probably wouldn't cover anything. I'm no expert but that's my take on it.
sknd34
on 9/26/11 11:46 am - West Fargo, ND
I have bariatric coverage and it paid for the placement of my lapband. However, they won't pay for a revision due to the 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime, even though I need the revision due to a complication of the lapband. Insurance has said that they will pay to have the band taken out, but not for the revision.
Steph
airbender
on 9/27/11 6:00 am
if you had a mechanical failure due to the lap band, you should appeal for your revision, those cases are different, while every insurance is different you don't have anything to lose.....
sknd34
on 9/27/11 7:47 am - West Fargo, ND
I have appealed four times and the insurance company called this last time and basically said not to try again, because it isn't going to happen due to the 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime even though the revision would be due to a complication with the band. I have esophageal dilation, so am unable to put fluid in the band at all and can cause longterm problems due to the pressure. My band is currently empty right now. I have put on 30 pounds in the last year. I wrote a 2 1/2 page letter to my insurance. My surgeon has written four different letters and insurance doesn't care. They just don't want their bottom line effected and aren't willing to make exceptions at all.
Steph
teachmid
on 9/27/11 4:26 am - OKC, OK
I was self pay for my RNY to DS revision last year. As previously said, a lot depends on your insurance and how things are coded.

That being said, my insurance denied most of my pre-op things (labs, UGI, EKG, chest x-ray) and I paid for it all. The majority of my post op care/labs have been with my PCP. This is where the coding really comes in. So far, my insurance has cover a portion of the labs and i just pay my normal co-pay for the office visit. My 2 post op visits with my surgeon (out of state). Were covered as part of his program fees.

Thank goodness, I have not had any complications, but whether or not your insurance would cover anything needs to be factored in, in your decision.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Ding-E-Girl
on 9/27/11 5:28 am - MS
     Hey!  I am new here and will also be self pay.   I was wondering where you had your DS done and approx how much it cost !   Thanks,  TJ   :) 
teachmid
on 9/27/11 5:35 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA did my revision. There are only a few surgeons in the country who are skilled at this difficult procedure. The fees were $28,500 plus travel. That covered his fees and the hospital stay. In addition, I ended up paying for most of the pre-op stuff.

If you are considering a DS, I would encourage to to check out the DS board.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics