What do I tell my surgeon

Debbie R.
on 9/29/11 2:52 pm, edited 9/29/11 3:15 pm - Las Cruces, NM

A little history..... I had a lap band placed in July 2007. After 9 months of no restriction and 13cc in my 10cc band I went to a different surgeon who discovered my band wasn't even around my stomach.. In May 2008 my new surgeon replaced everything and put in a new band. In July 2007 I weighed 240 pounds, bmi 40. After the correct surgery I lost 70 pounds, putting me at 170 pounds. But in the last 6 months I have gained 15 pounds. I am now at 185. I am devastated. I know alot has to do with bad food choices but January 2011 I was told that i have Sciatica, lumbar disc protrusion, degenerate disc decease. My pain management doctors, physical therapists and PCP all tell me i have to lose weight. (if i hear one more time a doctor tell me i have to lose weight i am going to scream).  I cannot "work out", My PT has showed me some exercises that are easy on my back but not enough to lose weight... So I have my weight loss surgeon telling me to exercise but my PT, and pain management doctors tell me nothing more than walking and slight stretching. I need to get rid of this weight so it's not so much on my back. It will only get worse and I'd rather be thinner when this desease progresses.

My question is... Will telling my surgeon about my back be enough to do a revision to gastric bypass? Before you tell me to find another doctor, I have done some inquiring and can't find a doctor who will take on another surgeon's patient. I don't think my insurance would make a fuss, they have all the documentation to back up the back problems. I just don't know what to tell my grumpy surgeon to convince him to do it.

This would be a perfect time to do the surgery. I had to take short term disability away from work to give me time to figure out a pain medicine regimen that works best to tolerate the pain. I don't have to go back to wor****il November 21. That should be plenty of time to get approved, have the surgery, and recover.

Any suggestions to tell my surgeon will be appreciated. I am going to call and make an appointment tomorrow to see him... I'm sure it will take a week before I can get in.

Sorry for such a long post!!

Thanks for listening and thanks ahead of time for your advice.

Have A Blessed Night,

Debbie

Edited to add... Will the gastric bypass have an effect on my pain meds and the anti-depression meds i take?

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 11:25 pm - NJ
First, I am sorry you are going through all of this - that is a huge amount of time for STD; great time to do a revision!

Second - call your insurance, get the person's name and ID # that you speak with and find out exactly what you need to get this revision approved, and if in fact, they will cover it.  I don't know for sure if what you have would be considered a co-morbidity or not,  you'd need to find that out.  If the band isn't causing you any "mechanical issues" and the reason for you wanting a revision is just because you aren't losing weight with the band, the insurance may not cover it.  

When I had my revision done, my band was causing me all sorts of stomach issues which was why my insurance covered the revision to RNY.  In fact, they told me that if the only reason for the revision was not losing weight, it would not be covered; it is considered lack of compliance.  But since you have other issues, it's a gray area, I think.

Once you get all your ducks in a row, then get a copy of your chart from all of the doctors you are seeing and go in armed with the proof you need to get this weight off NOW.  That once you start to lose the weight you can begin exercising.

I just had to bump up my dosage of my Wellbutrin; after going on and off of it for years, it takes longer to get back on track, and my psych upped it because he it concerned it's not all absorbed.  He is very knowledgeable with RNY, I am very fortunate.

Good luck to you!
Ladytazz
on 9/30/11 9:05 am
Are any of your pain meds NSAIDs like Ibuprofen?  If so that you wouldn't want a RNY since you can never take NSAIDs again.  You might look into a VSG since you seem to do well with restriction.  If your surgeon doesn't do it then maybe you can find a surgeon who will.  Don't give up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 9:47 pm
why isn't your surgeon aware that your trying to find a pain management regime to help with your issues?    that's pretty standard for your dr to know what meds you are on - so yes, you should tell him.   will that help your insurance issues - no idea unless you call them to know what or if a revision is covered.

Lori F.
on 11/8/11 9:48 pm - Chula Vista, CA
I have been fighting for a band revision for MONTHS. I have a ton of problems with my band and my insurance still won't remove it. You should start looking into surgery, but the fact that you don't know that you can't take NSAIDs with RNY makes me think that you haven't really done your due diligence. If you're off until 11/21, that means you have to have surgery in, oh, about two weeks to be recovered in time. Good luck with that... I guess it's not impossible...but, it's, well, impossible.
Ladytazz
on 10/1/11 1:12 pm
The only way I could see you having a revision in that time frame would be if you were self pay.

Melanie D.
on 10/2/11 12:07 am
Debbie,

I do not think you are delusional, just maybe a little too optimistic about getting approval and surgery in that time frame!  I think it may take a little longer than that.  You have to go through and get insurance approval and if your Dr. agrees to it, then you have to go on his wait list.  I have had issues with my band and complications and I have been trying for 2 months so far and am still in approval process.  Some insurances are different though, so I can't speak in your case. 

I know that there were some negative comments made to you earlier, and I am sorry about that.  We are all here for support and help and you had a question and you should be able to ask a question without being made to feel stupid.  Regardless, if you feel that you want a revision, then talk to your surgeon. Be open and honest with him and let him know why you are wanting it.  If you are unable to workout at all due to your back and need to lose weight fast because of your back issues, you may be able to get him to do the surgery and to get your insurance to approve it.  It does not sound to me that you are only wanting because of the 15 pound weight gain but because of the pain and the need to lose weight because of your back.  You never know what will happen until you try so go through the steps and try and see what happens.  Noone can tell you that you don't have the right to try!!

Good luck to you and I hope they figure out your back issues soon!! My dad and husband both have back issues so I know how horrible it can be!!

Mel
Debbie R.
on 10/2/11 6:55 am - Las Cruces, NM
Well, I definitely did not get the response i wanted. I used to come to OH everyday and post and support others. I have been on here about 3 times in the last year for advise or support and I get slammed and abused. This will probably be the last time I will post on this site. I have begun to hate it and hate all the people on here. I am suffering with severe depression because I have a crippling decease and I need to lose the weight so there is not the weight on my back.
So as i sit here crying because I feel I have no where to turn, Thanks for another lap in the face.

Debbie

Ladytazz
on 10/2/11 2:49 pm
Because this forum isn't as moderated as some other ones people can get a little rough.  You have 2 choices.  You can block out the ones that bother you the most or you can find a more supportive forum.  I understand about being depressed and being in pain.  It colors everything and makes us more sensitive.  
There are so many wonderful people here.  They so far outweigh the few that can be hard to take.  Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  Next time you read something that hurts you just hit the block button.  
You do have places to turn.  You are not alone.  The people on this board for the most part are those who understand the pain and humiliation of failing a WLS.  Just be a little more liberal with the block button and your experience here will be much improved.

soulsister
on 10/2/11 9:50 am - NY
People are rude. Those people are usually miserable too. Just be happy you're not them living an unhappy life and venting unhappiness onto others.
You decide what is best for you. Lower bmi's do not exclude you from wls.
Most Active
Recent Topics