Revision from RNY to DS for other than weight gain

Boxer Heather
on 10/28/11 3:40 pm - Grasonville, MD
Hi everyone,

I went back many pages to see if this topic may have been covered but didn't see anything.

I had RNY in October 2008.  My original goal was 150, which I changed at some point to 140.  My lowest weight last August was 137.  Since then I've bounced up and down and tend to stay around 145.  Thus far weight gain has not been much of an issue.  

I am prone to ulcers and was hospitalized twice last year due to bleeding ulcers.  Protonix will be in my life forever.  I have had lower back issues since I was 16 (I turn 43 on Sunday) and as my weight went up and up, I developed issues in my right hip.  I figured that once I lost 100+ lbs, these issues would at least subside...NOT!   MRI shows 2 herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, arthritis and bone spurs in my lower back.  X-rays show early onset arthritis in my hips.  My pain management doc, at every appointment, harps on how I would really benefit from NSAIDS.  We've tried several types of injections in the back and hips, to no avail.  Narcotics also provide very little relief.

My question is...has anyone had a revision from RNY to DS to be able to take NSAIDS again?  Is this something that an revision surgeon would entertain?

Thanks in advance!

boxerlickinggirl.gif boxer licking girl image by boxerheath               

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 1:58 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I don't think that the ability to take NSAIDS again is considered an acceptable reason for revision; HOWEVER, this issues with the chronic ulcers probably is, much like band-related GERD can be a valid medical reason to revision from Lap Band.

You need to actually check in with at least one bariatric surgeon as to what he/she would consider as far as revisions go.

I'm expecting to revise and have switched surgeons. Between moving his primary office about 40 hours and cutting his office hours to less than a full day per week, my original surgeon is no longer a viable choice for me. Fortunately, my current surgeon works closely with my gastroenterologist, practices about five miles from where I live AND uses the hospitals in the same city. The big question is whether the surgery will be considered to be an emergency and expedited or if it will go through the regular do-loop.

I have empathy for you and extend best wishes to you.

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 2:12 am
hey lisa !!

your looking to revise as well?   i hope nothing is too serious!!

take care, 

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 1:17 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I may end up with emergency revision surgery, depending upon the results from the CT scan I had last week.  I will find out this week whether it is an emergency or routine surgery.

Thanks, you too!
Boxer Heather
on 10/30/11 11:48 am - Grasonville, MD
Thanks for your reply!  I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow afternoon and am planning on bringing it up with him.  I'm also wondering if my panni might be causing some of the pain. 

Best of luck with your revision!

Heather

MsBatt
on 10/30/11 2:04 pm
There are only 5 or 6 surgeons in this hemisphere who can/will do a true RNY-to-DS revision, and your surgeopn isn't one of them. I suggest you visit the DS board and talk to some people who've already been revised.
Boxer Heather
on 11/2/11 1:49 am - Grasonville, MD
Will do.  Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 1:19 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
If you have issues with the panni, you probably would benefit from reconstructive (plastic) surgery.  You might want to look into it.

Thank you!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/1/11 7:34 am
 There are people on the DS board that have been revised from RNYs for reasons other than regain, even when they were still in a normal BMI range. Like MsBatt said, there are only a handful of surgeons you want doing a revision, and your surgeon isn't one.

Visit on the DS board and talk to some of the revision folks there.
Boxer Heather
on 11/2/11 1:50 am - Grasonville, MD
Will do.  Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics