A Question for People with Lap Band to Sleeve or DS Revisions

Band to DS
on 4/7/12 9:56 am
I have a question for those of you who had swallowing problems (aka: esophageal dysmotility) with the band & then revised to either a sleeve or a DS. Did your swallowing problems go away after your revision or did they continue? I'm having a DS revision at the end of April & my surgeon wants to make my sleeve a little bigger than usual to ensure that I won't have swallowing problems again. I'm wondering if this is really necessary or if he's just being super cautious (which he's known for). I want to get things "right" this time so I don't end up needing a 3rd WLS down the road. Know what I mean?

Thanks!

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Hislady
on 4/7/12 1:02 pm - Vancouver, WA
I haven't had a revision myself but have read on these forums for 4 years now and from what I've read that is one of first things people notice is that they can swallow again without it feeling like it's coming back up. It is a whole different life with a sleeve and would assume the DS. It can only get better once you get rid of that stupid band! Best of luck to you and you might post this on the sleeve and DS forums too.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 3:19 am - Mexico
On April 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Pacific Time, Failed Bandster wrote:
I have a question for those of you who had swallowing problems (aka: esophageal dysmotility) with the band & then revised to either a sleeve or a DS. Did your swallowing problems go away after your revision or did they continue? I'm having a DS revision at the end of April & my surgeon wants to make my sleeve a little bigger than usual to ensure that I won't have swallowing problems again. I'm wondering if this is really necessary or if he's just being super cautious (which he's known for). I want to get things "right" this time so I don't end up needing a 3rd WLS down the road. Know what I mean?

Thanks!

No, mine didn't go away due to esophageal damage but for most, it does go away.
Zee Starrlite
on 4/11/12 12:50 am, edited 4/11/12 12:51 am
I had esophageal problems with my Lap Band - dilation and I am sure dysmotility.  My sleeve is a bit bigger and I would not change it for the world.  Yes I struggle a bit to lose the weight and I certainly have not lost as fast as others but I have no issues at all related to my esophagus, reflux or anything at all (knock on wood - sometimes I worry because my doc says we have to watch you).  And yes, some people continue to have issues.  My doc says it is like the esophagus gets sorta stretch marks so it never really is how it was pre-op.

Best of all with my bit bigger stomach is my body will not go into shock and gain like a loon when I begin to start eating "normally" because I am not and almost never did the extremely low caloried diet (600-800) - I can eat some people really can not but a bit and when they do well, the body rebels!  I am losing the weight slowly and I feel healthier than I ever been with the band.  It is truly night and day.  No problems getting my solid protein in, it really is just great.  Not a fantasy, a workable reality and that is what I wanted.

So my bottom line is I believe that you should certainly think about getting your sleeve a little bigger (not humongous!).  Do you know about your common channel?  My doc and generally the practice does about 150cc now.  How much do you have have to lose?  What kind of person are you when it comes to eating and exercise?

I wish you the absolute best outcome.  I'm still scratching along but happy as a fly on poop

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics