RNY OR SLEEVE??

candlelady
on 5/5/12 12:32 pm
I'M SCHEDULED FOR A REVISION IN 2 WEEKS....STILL NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GO WITH THE SLEEVE OR THE RNY.  I'VE HEARD THE SLEEVE CONTROLS THE HUNGER HORMONE.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE RNY DOES THE SAME??
Judy_in_Jville
on 5/6/12 12:30 am

The portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone is actually removed for the body in the sleeve procedure. In RNY the stomach is separated but actually stays in the abdomen. I would vote for the sleeve. In fact I am in the process of requesting revision from band to sleeve to to leakage and gastritis.

Ms.CGeorge
on 5/6/12 1:55 am - CO
I'm 6 days post op Revised RNY. I chose an RNY because the sleeve is far too new, not enough results yet, and the RNY is less invasive and a much simpler procedure. The recovery time is less as well. Good luck to you.
Hislady
on 5/6/12 11:54 am - Vancouver, WA

Personally I too would go with the sleeve. It is not a new surgery by any means, it has been done for decade for stomach cancer. It has been used for weight loss for quite a few years now and is very successful. With the sleeve they only remove part of the stomach (where the grehlin hormone is released) and it removes the stretchy part of the stomach. With the RNY not only do they cut the stomach they reroute your intestines for malabsorbtion. So it really depends on whether you need restriction only with the sleeve or if you need malabsorbtion too with the RNY. Personally I don't want to have to take massive amounts of vitamins that the RNY requires. In the end only you can make the final decision. Good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/12 11:34 pm - Bay City, MI
My Dr. refused to do band-sleeve. Too high of leakage rates.
Carmen C.
on 5/8/12 3:48 am
RNY on 08/08/12
I did the sleeve and revising to Gastric - I have had allot of complications with the sleeve.. so if I had been told I wish I would of done the gastic first hand.
Most Active
Recent Topics