Two-month post-revision update (x-post)

Band to DS
on 7/6/12 12:24 pm
I tried really hard, but my lap band never worked. I only lost 38 pounds, which I eventually gained back plus some. I also developed swallowing problems and received the official diagnosis of esophageal dysmotility. After fighting my insurance company for a year, I finally had a lap band to DS revision two months ago. Since surgery, I've been having painful esophageal & gastric spasms when I swallow. And now when I try to eat almost any type of dense protein, it gets stuck & I throw up a few minutes later. I'm worried that I might have either a partial stricture or a recurrence (and worsening) of my esophageal motility disorder.

My surgeon said to go back to liquids & really soft foods for two weeks and then try to re-introduce dense proteins. So far, I'm doing just fine with liquids, protein drinks, soups, Greek yogurt, mozzarella cheese sticks, & tilapia. Sometimes my vitamins get stuck (even though I take them one at a time), but they go down eventually. My esophageal & gastric spasms are more manageable now. I'm grateful for the progress I've made, but I've still got a long way to go. I just hope that my body can repair the damage caused by my lap band.

Moral of the story: Revisions suck. Think twice & cut once.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/12 11:21 pm
Thanks for sharing. I'm planning a revision to the DS and believe me I've been thinking of the think twice and cut once saying. I'm hoping the damage isn't permanant too.

Hang in there, I hope things continue to improve for you and that you enjoy your DS!
Band to DS
on 7/7/12 8:59 am
Thank you! I wish I had gotten a DS the first time around, but I was terrified of malabsoprtion back then. I felt safe getting the lap band because it was "less invasive" and "reversible." Now I may be facing permanent damage because of that poor choice.

What's that saying? "When you know better, you do better." Hopefully people are making better decisions now that more information is available. That's why I'm posting my story, anyway.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Sherrie P.
on 7/7/12 12:15 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I am working on a revision to RNY.
I do not know much about the switch - but it sounds like maybe you tried too much too soon?
The diet the doc I am working with suggests nothing even remotely like real food for a long time.
I hope it is as simple as that!!

Good luck.

Lapbands suck.
pineview01
on 7/9/12 2:19 pm - Davison, MI
Yep, I'm going for the sleeve.  The band didn't work.  They have a whole group here for people that have bands not working.  I still can't get a DS done here but, the Doc says if you get a sleeve it can be changed to a by-pass.  Wouldn't that be a DS than.  Or do they really that great sleeve into a RNY?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics