xpost:Confused on which surgery to have now HELP!!!

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 8/11/12 10:41 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Let me start by saying I had the band back in 2004 and had to have it removed for a couple of reasons in 2006.  It was hell and I regret EVER having it. For years now I've been thinking and researching about RNY. I've even finished all my ins. requirements and now am just waiting on them to resubmit to my ins. But just yesterday I saw a post about regrets and how some RNYers regret that they didn't have the DS. So I decided to research that a bit...just for curiosity. Except now I'm confused because it sounds like a good surgery too. What makes you a better candidate for DS vs RNY? What's the major difference? It looks like their diet is a more 'normal' one...is that right? Better maintained weight loss long term? I thought I was decided and I had come to terms with RNY and was finally calm about it....but now I'm completely thrown. HELP!!!!!

Shannon
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 4:18 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
On August 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM Pacific Time, a_dmond_n_the_ruff wrote:
Let me start by saying I had the band back in 2004 and had to have it removed for a couple of reasons in 2006.  It was hell and I regret EVER having it. For years now I've been thinking and researching about RNY. I've even finished all my ins. requirements and now am just waiting on them to resubmit to my ins. But just yesterday I saw a post about regrets and how some RNYers regret that they didn't have the DS. So I decided to research that a bit...just for curiosity. Except now I'm confused because it sounds like a good surgery too. What makes you a better candidate for DS vs RNY? What's the major difference? It looks like their diet is a more 'normal' one...is that right? Better maintained weight loss long term? I thought I was decided and I had come to terms with RNY and was finally calm about it....but now I'm completely thrown. HELP!!!!!

Shannon
First off, I'm trying to figure out why the forum message board currently says your post will occur in about an hour.  That is just plain bizarre.

If you have any GERD issues, RnY is usually a better bet to cut it doesn.  If you use NSAIDS, the sleeve and DS are better choices.  If you have a propensity to dump, sleeve and DS are better choices than RnY USUALLY but not always.  If there is ever a likelihood of needing a blind NG tube, RnY is not a good idea but who the hell could predict that one for most of us?

It's sort of a crap shot what you decide is your best bet. If you aren't sure, I'd hold off on resubmitting to the insurance for a couple weeks and talking to your surgeon about it, as well as other WLS folks.

Best wishes.  If I can be of any assistance, you are welcome to PM me.
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 4:54 pm - WA
some of the kinds of foods you will eat are different. RNY malabsorbition ends a year or two out. (for most folks) . Pouches stretch, I think it is also that the weightloss tools stay in play for longer on the DS and the malnutrician is more of a factor in the ds. I am not a ds'r though so I am not 100% sure of thier issues, only things I have read.
Hislady
on 8/11/12 4:58 pm - Vancouver, WA
Well you have a great surgeon so check with him too. The basic difference is that RNY and DS are malabsorptive and the crap band and sleeve are restriction only. Myself I'm looking at the sleeve because I don't feel I need malabsorption, just restriction. To me the sleeve seems the most "normal" eating plan. I don't know alot about the DS but I believe they need more fats and oils because they don't absorb them well. Plus with the RNY and DS you will need to do some serious vitamin supplementation that you don't need as much of with the sleeve. You may have to just make a list of each surgery and list pros and cons. Good luck to you, hope you can narrow it down.
a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 8/11/12 6:34 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
Thank you all so much for your replies and advice.  It's hard to talk to my husband about all of this because as supportive as he is, he doesn't understand the differences and what's it like to have to make this decision.  It's good I can come here and speak to people who've researched these things til their blue in the face.

Shannon
MsBatt
on 8/11/12 7:17 pm
I simply don't have the time or patience to go into all the differences, so here's my short version---

The DS (and the Sleeve) will leave you with a very small, yet perfectly 'normal' stomach. Either will allow you to eat anything you eat now.

The DS will give you a great deal of malabsorption, which will allow you to eat  more fat and protein without regaining your weight. The Sleeve will allow you to eat anythig you eat now, but it won't keep those foods from making you fat. Both will rewuire you to take vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life---just not the same ones.

The Sleeve had some great short-term results.  The DS has some great LONG-TERM results.

Think twice, cut once.
bagelface
on 8/11/12 11:44 pm, edited 8/11/12 11:44 pm
VSG on 08/22/12
 Another great source of info is the book that your surgeon wrote.  I have it on my iPad.  You can get it on amazon as well.  He does a great job of describing all of the different procedures and the whole process.  
http://www.amazon.com/The-Experts-Guide-Weight-Loss-Surgery/

Mamazoune
on 8/16/12 7:10 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12
Hey there,

I had my band removed in an emergency surgery in 2011 and gained all my weight back.  I recently had a RNY.....probably should have done that in the first place.  I researched all the other surgeries and discussed and re-discussed with surgeons and Dr.s.  We decided that RNY was the best surgery for me with the understanding that if too much damage had been done because of the band they would give me a sleeve.  BTW- I also regret my decision to have a lap band...great short term but extemely costly and painful end.  Good luck with your decision!
Mamazoune                
prettyblueyes
on 8/16/12 12:34 pm - AZ
Just read your posts.  My best friend had her band done in 2005...had to have an EMERGENCY removal due to a slippage in December 2010.  It was horrible, as her surgeon perferated her stomach while removing the  band.  Long story short...after much deliberation, she has decided to do another surgery, as she gained all her weight back.. She called me last night for tips on which surgery to choose.

I am having RNY on 8/29 and am nervous (of course), but am greateful to have all these posts to read.  It is a HUGE decision....yikes!!!  My Dr. told me they will probably phase out the band in the next few years.  Anyway- thanks for letting me vent
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/16/12 5:58 pm
I sort of get it when someones insurance only pays for RNY, and they feel they can't afford to self pay for something else that would be better.

I know a long list of benefits the DS has over RNY, but not really anything the other way around. 
Most Active
Recent Topics