Revision approved!

Whit
on 10/22/12 12:06 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
 Hello all,
I know most of "us" belong to several sites so this may be a repeat... I have bee approved for revision surgery from RNY to DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian in Delano Ca. I will be travelling from Northern Ca.  Surgery date 12/10. It took 13 days from submition to approval. Anthum BCBS and Tricare Standard as secondary. Full of nervous excitement. Lots of ducks to get in a row.
Thats all for now
Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

camietam
on 10/22/12 3:16 pm - Ceres , CA
Congratulations! It's going to be well worth it.
Camie

CSerwalt
on 10/22/12 9:51 pm - Philadelphia, PA
DS on 11/28/12
Congratulations! Isn't it an awesome feeling, and a great relief. Soon to be a DSer!
Linda_S
on 10/23/12 9:13 am - Eugene, OR
 Congratulations!  Can you share with us the reasons for your revision and how you went about getting approved?  

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Whit
on 10/23/12 11:00 am
Revision on 12/10/12
Hi Linda, I had RNY surgery 10.5 years ago. I never relly lost all of my weight but I felt good. Size 14'ish for about a year then on came the weight. Diet exercise nothing helped it cam on about 10 pounds a year and at first it was not an issue I still felt great.  Over the last 3 years I have become increasingly miserable. Some days it is almost to painful to walk. I have a tinnie tiny stomach that rapidly empties and thus I dump after every meal no matter what it is. I though it was menopause ha not so.  I started looking into a revision after reading about it on this site. 

First I went to an in-network Bariatric surgeon who told me he did revisions. After an Endoscopy and an Ultrasound he wanted to fix my RNY with another RNY and I was set to do that. But I kept reading how that was not successful Yes it may fix the dumping (stoma fix) or not.  During the initial consultation he told me I would lose 60 pounds no problem. Then I went to see him at a seminar. I spoke to him after and stated I really wanted a conversion to DS. He said insurance would never approve it and I should be happy with the 40 pound weight-loss. Now 40 not 60? WTH? So I left discouraged but 40 was better then nothing right? So I had the Psych and NUT evaluation and met with him again. I again asked about DS he said I would be in diapers and 85lbs and 20 pounds and a loss of the dumping would a great result. What 20 pounds? 

So I sent my distress out to the Internet and met Larra. Who told me to fight fight fight for what I felt was best for me. I read stories, some scary very scary of people who have been revised Girlrocker Hourselover and tons more. 

I went to see Dr. Rabkin in SF where I live. Wonderful man but not in my network.  Then I flew down to see Dr. Keshishian and was immediately empowered. He told me I am not a failure..."You are a Hyundai not a Hummer" . 

Sondra submitted paperwork to my Primary insurance who approved in 15 days (they needed more documentation) and then my secondary who approved over the phone. 

It will not be really until I get the Approval from BCBS in the mail. But I know this is the right thing to do. I have a second chance. 

Whitney

Linda_S
on 10/23/12 11:14 am - Eugene, OR
Thanks so much for sharing your story with me.  By 'dumping after every meal' no matter what you ate, do you mean that you get a wicked hot flash after every meal?  Maybe an hour afterwards?  I cannot eat any refined carbs, but even after a protein-laden meal, I burst out into a horrible sweat about an hour after eating.  Usually, I just want to go to sleep.  We thought perhaps my blood sugar was going up, but it doesn't really go much above 130.  If does often drop into the 40s and 50s -- I've had hypoglycemic attacks as low as 23.  I had a CT scan of my guts this morning, as I also have a lot of pain when I eat.  Not sure if they'll find anything, but I am miserable.  I never lost all the weight I wanted to.  I also am a size 14 and I get around pretty well, but spending half my life asleep because I can't handle carbohydrates is the pits. 

Whit
on 10/23/12 12:11 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
 HI,
I am not a size 14 now I am a 20. Yes Wicked hot flashes, sweats and nausia. I went on a bio identical and the hot flshed isolated to only after eating. Dummping!  My BMI is not quite 40 so I was worried I would not qualify. But until I have a actual letter from insurance I am not going really believe it. 
Best,
Whitney

Linda_S
on 10/23/12 12:32 pm - Eugene, OR
 I wouldn't mind losing up to another 40 pounds, but I just want to be able to eat more than meat and salad.  I do also eat eggs, cheese, and yogurt, but I still get the sweats.

smileyjamie72
on 10/24/12 2:04 am - Palmer, AK

Reactive Hypoglycemia is what I got when I had the RNY.  Glad I revised to the DS!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Linda_S
on 10/24/12 3:25 am - Eugene, OR
 Yep Jamie!  I have it in spades.  May I ask how you went about getting approval for a revision?  Did you have significant weight re-gain, or was it just because of the hypoglycemia?  I don't want to spend 80% of my life sick and sleeping!

Most Active
Recent Topics