back from my endscopy and now in search of a new doctor trying for a ds revision

tattoobabe
on 11/5/12 3:00 am - MI

well today was a bit of a disappoint while laying on the hospital bed awaitng my scope  my surgeon while discussing the procedure says a few things that upset me first off i explain to him that instead of  what he was initally was recomending just making my inital pouch smaller if it had streched....(i had an rny back in 2001) i informed him after doing some research i was interested in getting the gastric sleeve he goes on to tell me it can't be done it was to much of a risky procedure and that type of surgery can't be done..he said if my pouch had not streched the only thing he could for me is the bob...I had already told him i didn't want a foreign object in my body and with so many horror stories i've heard about the band i didn't want that thing in my body.. He then said i didn't have many options besides fixing the pouch if it streched or the bob and that maybe i should think about before making any decisions. I went ahead and had the scope and as soon as i got back home called the insurance cordinator at the barix clinic and told them not to submit any info regarding the revision to my insurance company that i would be going with someone else as this surgeon i choose doesn't really do revisions. the good thing now is i can finally pursue a ds revison and dr. paul kemmeter has a seminar nov 17 and i will be there.

Hislady
on 11/5/12 7:58 am - Vancouver, WA

Hooray and I'm so glad you are more than willing to change docs, so many are afraid or don't want to cause a stir, they just go ahead with whatever the doc says. Yes you do need a very good doc to do the revision but I'm sure the correct doc can do the job!

smileyjamie72
on 11/6/12 11:00 am - Palmer, AK

I am GLAD you are being your best advocate for yourself!!!!  YAY!!!!  If Kemmeter DOES do RNY to DS revisions, please PM me after your surgery, and I will HAPPILY add him to the small list of the docs who do the RNY to DS revisions.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

pineview01
on 11/7/12 9:28 am, edited 11/8/12 2:46 am - Davison, MI

Glad to hear you are checking into Paul Kemmeter.  Did you call yet and ask if RNY to DS was one of the revisions he did?  They had his name and said in did on the WLS site.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tattoobabe
on 11/7/12 7:13 pm - MI

to answer your question pineview i did call there offices and was told he does do rny to ds revisions and because im a revision i don't have to do the seminar(fyi if you are newbie you are required to do the seminar prior to any appts being made) i made an appointment for 11/20/12 to speak to a bariatrician they will determine if im a candidate. if this person deems me a candidate for the revision then i make a appointment to see the surgeon to discuss the procedure and i think once that is done and they've been able to retreive my original surgery report from 11 yrs ago and my recent scope info done at the other bariatric clinic (yes they will have you sign an autho and will get your prior surgery medical records for you)all info will be submittted for approval to my insurance. fyi anyone who does go with doctor kemmeter should know you will be required to pay 1000.00 up front before the surgery even occurs. some doctor's do require payments for doctor visits up front instead of billing it out to insurance. it will be broken up in 3 ways....250 plus any co pay amount the first visit with the bariatrician. the second visit will be with the surgeon and that office visit is 200.00 plus any co pay amount and then if you are approved for surgery they require 550.00 2 weeks prior to the surgery occuring.  i hope this helps anyone who may be thinking of going with him.      

Sherrie P.
on 11/7/12 11:53 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Ditto - good luck. Please be careful as that is a super tricky operation and there is a short list of surgeons doing it.

I know someone that had an off-list doc do hers, and she has been in and out of the hospital 4 times in 2 months and has a feeding tube.. it is a nightmare.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Whit
on 11/8/12 3:02 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

I wanted to chime in here and tell you about my experience. In May I went to see a reputable surgeon - and let me say I like him he is a good surgeon- not a RNY to DS surgeon or advocate of...  I went to see him 3 times and I told him what I wanted he recomended the same things your Doc is recommending. After reading tons of negative results I looked into other options. I am having RNY to DS surgery 12/10 with Dr. Ara Keshishian. I am not saying this is the 'Gold Standard" it is risky and scary but I want it and my insurance covered it ... I am just saying it is your decision weigh all of the options and make the decision that is best for you.  

Also people die from surgery every day please look into a vetted revision surgeon. 

Good luck 

annamarie1969
on 11/9/12 6:57 am - deltona, FL

I feel your pain....I am right where u are now....need to get the endoscopy asap....the upper gi baruim drink showed that i didn't stretch pouch but my stomach empties very rapidly. I gained alot of weight back and am so angry and depressed. I want this revision so badly. I hope everything works out well for u.  Best Wishes,Anna 

tattoobabe
on 11/9/12 7:14 pm - MI

thanks anna...i was told during upper gi barium drink my pouch empties rapidly too..... once you check out your insurance to make sure  repeat bariatric surgery is covered you then need to decide which procedure you want...im now attempting to get a ds if its doable and i don't have issues when and if he is able to cut me open (never know what insurance will do). good luck  too you...

annamarie1969
on 11/16/12 10:15 pm - deltona, FL

I am having a hard time finding a surgeon that does RNY TO DS REVISIONS in Florida. Should i consider traveling to a well established and experienced doc and does insurance cover other states surgeons?  I am clueless here? Thanks, Anna 

Most Active
Recent Topics