Gastric imbrication/gastric plication Has anyone has this?????

susang
on 12/31/12 5:51 am - CA

I have been reading alot about this, still considered "investigational" as was the VSG when I did that. I have gained weight(25 pounds) and this surgery is done as a first time surgery or revision to the VSG if a DS or someother revision is not warranted. In general the surgery entails folding the excess part of the stomach over and suturing it. I am considering doing this and wondering if anyone has had this done? It is being done at several reputable clinics and although there are only 2 years worth of results it seems like an option. One draw back is if you need further revision that would be harder to do. I really don't want to keep going up in weight and am doing other measures such as OA..seeing a nutritionalist etc but I am soooo struggling one more time. I feel I have learned alot in 6.5 years since my vsg and getting back to basics but still need further help ugggg.

MsBatt
on 12/31/12 6:40 am

I've read some scary things about plication and the possibility of tissue death due to compromised blood flow. Have you considered adding the intestinal Switch to your Sleeve, for a full DS?

susang
on 12/31/12 9:54 pm - CA

Thanks so much for your reply! I did see 1 case of tissue death too. Cant switch to DS (which  I would like to do) as i have not gained enough weight....I was hoping to stop the scale before I gain back another 70 pounds. Boy what a battle sometimes!

MsBatt
on 1/1/13 12:44 am

Do you know how big your Sleeve really is? It IS possible to re-Sleeve, but that too is risky, especially if the new suture line would have to cross the old suture line---really raises the risk of leaks.

As for adding the Switch---can you possibly self-pay? I understand that most insurance companies won't cover unles you've regained a LOT but some surgeons understand and will. You can get the Switch added by Dr. Baltasar in Spain for around 10K---he does them even on the non-obese for the treatment of diabetes.

pineview01
on 12/31/12 9:50 am, edited 12/31/12 9:51 am - Davison, MI

I have seen lots on this procedure.  You wouldn't be able to have this after a VSG OR DS. There is no stomach left to do the plicaton.  I would be Very hard to do after a RNY.  The only surgery you might do this as a prevision from would be a Band if the damage didn't be a deterrent.  I would call the reputable clinics doing it and asking about doing this after VSG.  I have heard of over sewing or resizing a VSG.

Everything I read said it would be a first time surgery.  I have a felling this will be like the band sold, as reversal but not really.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

susang
on 12/31/12 9:59 pm - CA

Thanks for your reply! I had initially gone to SF to Dr. Cirangles group for the VSG  as that group was considered cutting edge and had done many VSG's at the time (almost 7 years ago) I happened to see on his website that he is doing the plication as a revision surgery for the VSG and has done many. I have heard very few surgeons will re-do a VSG but it sounds like the over sewing may be a similar surgery? I will definitely look into everything! Thanks so much.

scarlettbegonias
on 12/31/12 10:39 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I was told to run away from the plication, even the surgeon that brought it up as an option said its not the best and I would be very sick for a few weeks afterwards

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

susang
on 12/31/12 10:00 pm - CA

Thanks for your reply....I have heard that you feel sick for a few weeks after, did he give you other reasons to stay away?Would love to hear what his opinion was! Thanks

scarlettbegonias
on 1/1/13 4:21 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

After everything I'd been through at that stage when he said its an option but I wouldn't advise it and you'll be VERY sick for a few weeks I said scrap that not interested, sorry, have you used the search bar I know it's been mentioned on here before, you may find some more info that way.

good luck with making your choices.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

pineview01
on 1/1/13 2:06 am, edited 1/1/13 2:08 am - Davison, MI

I've been checking out Plication after VSG.  The video I watch said it was Plication after a failed VSG but, it sure looked like he was doing a virgin Plication as he had to cut the stomach loose even.  I think I would have to find some one to tighten the Sleeve or go to a DS.  I would be scared that "****" would happen in those folds.  The reason for the Plication in the first place is to keep from removing part of the stomach.  As this has already happened what is the upside for the Plication after VSG?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics