Large Anastomosis

Harry Potter
on 12/29/12 3:14 pm - Hollywood, FL
I had my initial RHY April 14, 2008 at 261, went down to 162, doing well. All of a sudden I get pains. Get them checked out they were pre-ulcers.
Weight slowly creeping up. Todays date 12/3012 198. My apnea coming back, back pain,acid reflux,depression.
Had band upper GI Surgeon says I have a Large Anastomis, I ask what is the fix, he said nothing.

I am looking for a revision I can't play with my two children ANYMORE. No energy, I have become Severly Anemic(infusions every couple of weeks for weeks straight), and Lactose Intolterant and you can't fix the large hole in my stomach. What do they normally do for this issue. I can just keep gaining weight for no reason, when i EAT LIKE A BIRD.
Any suggestions

Florida Humana Gold Plus

Revision RNY 05/14/2014

Current Weight: 197

MsBatt
on 12/30/12 1:43 am

Your anastomosis---more commonly called a stoma, which means "mouth" in Latin"---has stretched. This is more common than you'd think, and one of the biggest reasons RNY patients regain. Malabsorption of calories is pretty much gone by 18-24 months post-op, and now you don't have restriction, either.

Repairing a stretched stoma is not easy. There have been some procedures developed to address this problem, but they've not shown much success. Don't waste your time or money on the Rose or the StomaphyX. You *might* want to research something called the Apollo Overstitch, but it's VERY new---no long-term data yet.

Some people have had success with something called BOB---Band Over Bypass. It involves placing a LapBand over the existing pouch/stoma. The problem with this is---the Band. It's notorious for causing its own problems, and even the manufacturer admits it's not intended to last for more than ten years.

Your other option is a revision to a different procedure, such as the Sleeve or the DS. To do either properly, you need a highly skilled surgeon, one that can put your pouch and your remnant stomach back together, then do a proper Sleeve. You can then stick with just the Sleeve (no malabsorption) or go with the full DS (permanent malabsorption of calories, unlike the RNY.) The DS has the very best long-term ,amintained weight-loss stats of any form of WLS currently available.

icurn2003
on 12/31/12 7:02 am - Taylorsville, GA
Hi. I just had (on Friday) surgery to close my anastomosis. I am still on a full liquid diet. People on this site will talk nonstop about converting your RNY to a DS. For some people that's not an option. Good luck!
saralynne65
on 1/4/13 3:58 pm
Revision on 01/23/13
Most Active
Recent Topics