Considering a revision to the DS from a VSG. Can you talk to me about your experience?

pippin
on 1/1/13 5:34 am - Baltimore

Hi everyone,

In 2009, I had a VSG.  Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 160 lbs.  Since then, I have gained back 60.  I am considering getting a revision to a DS.  Right now I am in the beginning stages of trying to figure out if I am covered through my husband's insurance (United Healthcare).  When I had my VSG, I had BCBS and was on my mom's insurance.  It was not covered, and I ended up having to self-pay.  I really want to avoid that (and I also want to avoid having to have surgery out of state again).

Has anyone here had the experience of being revised from a VSG to a DS?  What was your experience like and how was it different from the VSG?

For everyone else, can you please talk to me about your experience in general?  What kinds of complications have you dealt with?  Why is the DS superior to the RNY?  What kinds of foods can you eat?

I have been nervous about posting for a long time.  I felt so ashamed about failing with my VSG. 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

LaToya S.
on 1/1/13 8:41 am - Edwardsville, IL
I am in a similar situation (just posted about it). The only way for me to get the DS is to go out of town but I may have found a surgeon that will switch my sleeve to the RNY. Can't wait to see more replies to this post.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

MsBatt
on 1/2/13 7:26 am
walterswife
on 1/2/13 7:16 am
Dr. Vanguri is a vetted DS surgeon in Baltimore.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active
Recent Topics