Waiting, possible complications but I still am waiting...ugh

meliss0725
on 2/6/13 12:55 pm - Plainfield, IL

I have had this band 10 long years and while I had no documented slips or issues, I am starting to feel like something is wrong in there.  I never lost weight, I did very few fills and there was no organized suport when I was first banded.  I had other issues over the years and found a new Dr here in Chicago, tried to make it work and then turned my energy to infertility and have a wonderful little boy. During my pregnancy I unfilled and let it sit for 3 more years.  

I had my band checked when I starting having discomfort and through a fluoroscope the new Dr said nothing was wrong.,  I am researching revision but am looking into another surgical group.  I am awaiting all of my medical records and I am still not feeling well.  I am really freaked out about possible damage inside of me.  The new surgical group will not see me until they have my records.  I am welcome to come to a seminar but that is all.  It is making me nuts.  

What were your experiences with a long-term band removal?  What tests should i ask for?  What were your symptoms?

nikkim102
on 2/6/13 11:22 pm

I cannot comment on your band issue but I can recommend one of the greatest Bariatric Ctrs. in the country in my opinion & that is the Cleveland Clinic, Main Campus, Cleveland, OH.   I am scheduled for my revision w/ them on Feb. 19 and have been working with their team for almost a year.  Complete 110 % support from them in every way.   A + rating in my book. Might look them up and research.  Cleveland Clinic Bariatric & Metabolic Institute.  Good luck !!!

meliss0725
on 2/7/13 9:34 pm - Plainfield, IL

Actually, I am considering that.  Can you tell me why you think they are the best?  Is there any way to see if they treat complex cases?  Did you live in the same city or travel there?

nikkim102
on 2/8/13 12:17 am

They are perhaps one the best in the country IMO because of the overwhelming team effort, support that they put into each & every patient. They are always on call for any question. They give you complete guidance, step by step in every process.  I have worked with them since last April on this revision & I have to say that every type of support available from Psyh. to Internal Med. to Dieticians, over-eating classes, labs, to working w/ you on making appts. at your convience to the EXCELLENT SURGEONS.  I cannot say enough great things about them. I do live here in OH very close but that is not the reason I chose them. I chose them because I know they are one of the top 10 hospitals in the country.

tia47
on 3/20/13 10:25 pm - cleve, OH
Cleve clinic runs second only to St Vincnt, when it comes to bariatric.

T.
pineview01
on 2/8/13 11:18 am, edited 2/9/13 12:31 am - Davison, MI

I had my band removed 9/4/12 and was sleeved 1/22/13.  My issues were random tightening from being able to eat everything to not even being able to swallow spit.  I was totally unfilled at one year out.  They scooped me as the Barium swallow said I was wide open and perfectly placed.  The scoop showed esophagalitis and gastritus.  I was left empty for 6 weeks and than the tried to slowly refill.  I never could find a spot where I wasn't going from too tight to too loose.  I was unfilled at 2 years for 2 months and a repeat.  The PCP wanted it out at this point but, I wanted to try again as my only other option was a RNY and I didn't want one.  So, I hung unto it another 18 months but, I got to were it hurt to bad to get a fill or unfill and I was getting them all the time.

As they unfilled it I could eat some dense protein and started to lose again.  As I lost instead of the band getting looser it was getting tighter so another unfill.  Then I could lose again until it tightened up more.  I finally had to get it out.   They found the port was totally incased in scare tissue as the body was trying to reject it.  They also found adhesions on the stomach and liver.  Which explained the side pains.

Hope this helps.  Would you like to know anything else.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

meliss0725
on 2/8/13 11:28 pm - Plainfield, IL

How long did you have your band ? You might have told me at some time but I do not remember.  The adhesions and scaring scare the heck out of me.  How long was your surgery to remove?  Any complications from that?  Was it done on an emergency basis?

pineview01
on 2/9/13 12:30 am, edited 2/9/13 12:32 am - Davison, MI

I only had my band a little over 3.5 years.  The surgery to remove was only 45-60 minutes.  He didn't remove the adhesions though I found out when I went back in to get the sleeve.  It took 45 minutes to remove adhesions and straighten the stomach back up and then they did a routine VSG.  I got of the surgery notes for both surgeries.  The surgeon that removed the band made note that I had mild adhesions but didn't state if he removed them and I just assumed he did.  I was wrong. 

The surgery wasn't done on an emergency basis.  I had 2.5 years of complications leading up to removal and total regain.  Until as stated above, the last 6 months when they would unfill me some and I would be able to eat dense protein.  Then as I lost I would get tighter and they would unill be again so I could eat dense protein and start losing.  Then I got tight again.  This went on until it was to painful to access my port anymore.  During removal they found the port was tipped in a capsule of scare tissue.  Every time they tipped to access it they were pulling my insides with it.

My insurance went to once in a life time and they would only pay to remove the band.  With all the documented testing to show the esophagus inflammation and gastritis and fills and unfills.  Then when the removal showed I had real problems, I was able to get them to pay for the sleeve.

Hope this helps some.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics