Revising from Sleeve to RNY- YESSSSS I know the DS is the second part of the sleeve.......

rows4u
on 3/2/13 11:29 pm
Revision on 03/11/13

So I came back to OH because the first time I had surgery I had such great support, the advice was helpful, the forums were great. I didn't realize that going from the sleeve to RNY would get such negativity.

So before I get bashed on please remember a few things. People come here for support, not to be bullied, not to be ridiculed for decisions being made, but for SUPPORT. By no means am I trying to be rude its just that the last 2 post I have put up about advice for liquid diets, staying on track, etc have ended up being a bash on why I'm not doing the DS surgery from a sleeve.

First and for most I have done my research, yes I know the DS would be the best revision since it is the second part of the sleeve. My insurance says my BMI is not high enough for them to cover and I have no underlying issues besides obesity. I have no blood pressure issues, no diabetes,no sleeping issues, no acid reflex, no leg cramps,  nothing at all except asthma but I've had that since I was 10 and didn't get fat until 10 years ago. So with that being said, I AM REVISING TO THE RNY March 11th. My decision is made, my family supports my decision after going with me to my Dr apt and talking to other surgeons as well. My insurance will pay 100% of the RNY and I'm very excited to know that this go around I'm not going to be putting myself in debt another 14K or even 20K by paying cash for the revision.

What I'm asking is for support, for someone to check in every now and then. It's different from having support of family and loved ones then having support from someone that actually knows what you're going through. What emotions are tied to this, what obstacles we endure. It's a mental thing for me that I have worked hard on changing! So basically I'm asking for support, I'm asking for anyone that has advice, and especially if theres anyone who went from the sleeve to the RNY! Thank you ahead of time for not leaving negative comments. I had negative comments my entire life about decisions I made and being fat, I would love to know that I have 1 place that I can go to besides home for support so please no negativity.

tattoobabe
on 3/2/13 11:57 pm - MI

no negativity from me  I just want to wish you luck on your journey.

rows4u
on 3/3/13 12:03 am
Revision on 03/11/13

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie M.
on 3/3/13 12:50 am
On March 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM Pacific Time, rows4u wrote:

So I came back to OH because the first time I had surgery I had such great support, the advice was helpful, the forums were great. I didn't realize that going from the sleeve to RNY would get such negativity.

So before I get bashed on please remember a few things. People come here for support, not to be bullied, not to be ridiculed for decisions being made, but for SUPPORT. By no means am I trying to be rude its just that the last 2 post I have put up about advice for liquid diets, staying on track, etc have ended up being a bash on why I'm not doing the DS surgery from a sleeve.

First and for most I have done my research, yes I know the DS would be the best revision since it is the second part of the sleeve. My insurance says my BMI is not high enough for them to cover and I have no underlying issues besides obesity. I have no blood pressure issues, no diabetes,no sleeping issues, no acid reflex, no leg cramps,  nothing at all except asthma but I've had that since I was 10 and didn't get fat until 10 years ago. So with that being said, I AM REVISING TO THE RNY March 11th. My decision is made, my family supports my decision after going with me to my Dr apt and talking to other surgeons as well. My insurance will pay 100% of the RNY and I'm very excited to know that this go around I'm not going to be putting myself in debt another 14K or even 20K by paying cash for the revision.

What I'm asking is for support, for someone to check in every now and then. It's different from having support of family and loved ones then having support from someone that actually knows what you're going through. What emotions are tied to this, what obstacles we endure. It's a mental thing for me that I have worked hard on changing! So basically I'm asking for support, I'm asking for anyone that has advice, and especially if theres anyone who went from the sleeve to the RNY! Thank you ahead of time for not leaving negative comments. I had negative comments my entire life about decisions I made and being fat, I would love to know that I have 1 place that I can go to besides home for support so please no negativity.

I read that entire thread; no bashing, no negativity, just honest, educated feedback.  If your doctor doesn't do DS surgeries, of course he/she is going to steer you in the direction of a surgery he/she does perform.  That doesn't mean it's the best option for you.  To be fully informed, an appointment with a qualified revision surgeon who does DS and RNY is needed.  Best of luck to you.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

LEE
on 3/3/13 1:15 am

WOW!  Sounds like you have been beat upon and judged.  I don't  blame you for going with the rny if that if what your insurance will pay for.  I am having a revision from a rny to a ds on the 28th of this month and I have to pay myself.  I am just happy I have to money and don't have to go in debt for it because $40,000 is a lot of cash and a lot of people don't have it.

Sorry you are getting beat up but don't let it get you down.  You have to make the decision that works best for you.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Stephanie M.
on 3/3/13 2:07 am
On March 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, LEE wrote:

WOW!  Sounds like you have been beat upon and judged.  I don't  blame you for going with the rny if that if what your insurance will pay for.  I am having a revision from a rny to a ds on the 28th of this month and I have to pay myself.  I am just happy I have to money and don't have to go in debt for it because $40,000 is a lot of cash and a lot of people don't have it.

Sorry you are getting beat up but don't let it get you down.  You have to make the decision that works best for you.

LEE, did you read the other thread?http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4607899/3-5-years -out-from-my-VGS-and-now-revising-to-Gastric/

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

LEE
on 3/3/13 4:05 am

I just went and read the thread you linked me to and to be honest I don't think they were beating up on you, It just seems like they were trying to give you good advice, because everything they said was true, you probably just don't like the way it was said. 

I agree that for long term results the DS is better and since you already have the sleeve it would make more sense to do phase 2 rather than going to a whole new much less effective surgery, but I also see your part of wanting to go with what the insurance will pay for.

Don't think I am trying to dump on you, but speaking from a 7 year failed RNY person, I would try to find someone who could complete my DS and not even think of a RNY, but I say that after 7 years of experience.

You have to do what is best for you, but make an informed decision.  If you have any RNY questions I am here to answer any questions.  I hope the RNY works out better for you than it did for me.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
meliss0725
on 3/3/13 7:43 am - Plainfield, IL

No bashing from me but I wonder why are. You getting a revision from sleeve? I am heaping to revise from band to sleeve and I am hopeful that it will work.  Did the sleeve not work well for you?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/3/13 10:20 am

I didn't see any bashing there either, but a lot of informed folks giving practical advice.

Was it you that posted somewhere about taking NSAIDs for pain? Maybe not, but that alone would be enough for me.

I suppose you'll take this as bashing too, but it's just concern, that you may lose the option to revert to another surgery if this fails, Many insurance companies are adding a "one surgery per lifetime" clause, and it doesn't matter who paid for the previous surgery.

Also, when the stomach has been cut up several times, you may not have enough stomach tissue left to revise to anything else if the RNY fails you, and it does fail plenty of people.

Sometimes good advice is the best support there is. Good luck whatever you do.

jzwife
on 3/4/13 1:57 am

Congragulations on your decision to do a revision. Its a very difficult choice to decide to have another surgery. I hope that it will all go well for you. Every one must make their choice based on what fits them best. If  insurance is an issue for you then you must work within the bounds that are there and honestly, I think something being done is better than nothing and going thru the rest of your life with regrets of being obese. 

I am scheduled for a revision on the 19th of March. My surgeon is going to do the DS as long as there isn't a lot of scar tissue. If the scarring is too great from my first surgery then I will have to have my fistula repaired from the RNY. i am working within the bounds of my insurance also. 

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics