Need a revision and scared to death

Diana M.
on 4/3/13 8:59 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

So, in July of last year, I had the VSG done.  I'm a slower loser, and have only dropped about 75 pounds, but I'm actually ok with that.

What I can't live with, is that I've developed horrible reflux, and everything I eat or drink causes me to choke and not be able to breathe very well.

I know that the DS is the best revision from the VSG, but my surgeon (who I trust implicitly) tells me that the only sure fire way to take care of the reflux is RNY.  

I know the facts of both surgeries, and am prepared to take his advice, and feel secure that I'm getting good advice (I've checked with several doctors)

I don't even care anymore if I don't lose more weight, I just want to stop being sick, and just want to stop feeling like someone has their hands around my throat when I take a sip of water.

My worry comes from this:  my father had RNY in 2002...he was dead from complications in 6 months.  Granted, he was much older than I am, and had a lot of medical complications I don't have, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that I'll live through this.

Ok, just had to get that out there......venting over.

ButterflyAna
on 4/4/13 8:36 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I was just revised to the sleeve and have horrible acid reflux as well. I had it with the band but this seem worse. My doctor says it will get better and I believe him. I take a RX everyday for the acid reflux that seems to help, but if I forget it my throat is on fire and I feel horrible.
Good luck with the revision.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

pineview01
on 4/4/13 2:38 pm - Davison, MI

I was told to take 2 PPI's a day for the first year with my sleeve.  My DD is two years out and takes 1 PPI a day.  I had horrible reflux with the band and was on 2 PPI's a day than and still woke up at night drowning in acid at night.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Cherokeesage
on 4/4/13 8:03 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I chose banding the first time partially due to the fear of RNY.  I had horrible reflux with the band and haven't had a day of it with the RNY.   The WLS that did my band had few years of experience and then left town.  Several of his patients have had problems and bands removed.  In fact, of all the banded people that I personally know, only one still has a band.  All others have had to have the band removed even though they successfully lost wt.  With the revision to RNY, I chose a vetted surgeon within a Center of Excellence and  over thirty yrs of experience with RNY.   I prayed about it for several months and by the time I had surgery was ready and had no issues.  I reached a point where I knew my health was declining being over weight.  I have a brother in a wheel chair due to obesity.  I don't want to be in that condition.  I lost my excess wt within a year and am diligent in following the protein, water and vitamin guidelines because I do not want to gain it back.  The exercise is harder to follow due to FMS and Arthritis.  I do know a lot of people that have maintained without the exercise but are very careful to not backslide into old eating habits.  Wishing you all the best.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics