switching from.sleeve to band

BROWNEYES_24
on 4/13/13 6:26 am
Hey guys is it possible to go from a sleeveto a band. I had my sleeve done ova 3 years ago.didn't really lose all my weight.but i don't want another drastic surgery.. I believe the band will do trick to get remainder weight off. By the way i live in Memphis,TN.. Any doctor were will take me on as a patient.please let me know.
MsBatt
on 4/13/13 10:22 am

The Band has a LOT of problems. You'll notice there are a lot of people here who're getting their Bands removed. I really can't encourage anyone to get one, especially on top of another WLS!

The logical revision for you, with a Sleeve, is to add the intestinal switch, giving you a whole DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Hislady
on 4/13/13 10:23 am - Vancouver, WA

To my knowledge it is not done because there isn't enough stomach to put a band around plus the band is a nightmare and causes serious life long issues. Most people with a band end up revising to the sleeve because the band is so awful and dangerous. The only direction I know of after a sleeve is the DS or RNY, both much more involved and malabsorbtive surgeries.

Are you doing a high protein(60-70+ oz.) low carb diet(under 40 grams or less), eating protein first, 600-900 calories a day, no drinking with eating, no alcohol or junk food? Drinking lots of water (64+ oz.)? Successful sleevers tend to follow the begininng instructions on thru life with very little splurging on goodies.

aces70
on 4/14/13 2:22 am - TX

As a Lap band patient I can say that if I were you I would not go that route. Lap Band has a lot of issues:(

Ms Shell
on 4/14/13 2:31 am - Hawthorne, CA

I'd love to know why you think the band would help?  Are your portions huge?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

amia
on 4/14/13 4:22 am - Marysville, WA

No way in hell would a sane person put a band over a sleeve. You're halfway to DS already, that would be the logical next step.

Whit
on 4/14/13 5:15 am
Revision on 12/10/12

In my humble opinion a band over sleeve just seems wrong. Has it stretched out and non restrictive? All the band would add is restriction. I do know a couple of folks who have had band over bypass and been successful. In both instances their pouch or Stoma was stretched or very large to begin with causing little to no restriction. 

The next logical step would be the DS portion. If restriction alone is not working then the Malabsorbtive component may ne needed. 

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

moonchild1968
on 4/14/13 5:21 am - Tucker, GA

Congratulations on researching and continuing your weight loss journey.   You would be hard pressed to find a quality surgeon to put the band over your sleeve.  As a band to sleeve pre-op, I totally understand wanting to ditch what isn't working and find what will work.  Talk to a bariatric surgeon at a Center of Excellence with a good track record.  You will find viable options to help you reach your weight loss goals.  Good luck.

Zee Starrlite
on 4/14/13 11:34 am, edited 4/15/13 4:31 am

Wow, sorry you've had a change of mind.  It seemed you were all set to get the more logical 2nd PArt - a full DUODENAL switch.  With your gain and current BMI,  Adjustable gastric banding would not be the wisest choice.  You'd kiss yourself to diet and get the weight off without getting the band if you don't want Further surgery.  Drastic BMI's and gain  call for drastic measures even if not choosing any additional weight loss surgeries.  That means a set controlled diet & daily rigorous exercise.

The Band on your sleeved stomach will be your biggest mistake.  DON'T GET THE BAND EVEN IF YOU FIND SOME QUACK WILLING TO DO IT FREE OF CHARGE!

ALL BEST,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pineview01
on 4/14/13 1:43 pm - Davison, MI

Having a band over a sleeve just doesn't sound like a realistic choice.  Being a band to sleeve person I just can't wrap my head around it.

It seems like going from sleeve to DS would be the only good choice to make.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics