Gaining weight

PRETTE84
on 7/15/13 11:52 am, edited 7/15/13 10:57 pm - ROSEDALE, NY
I'm thinking about go from RNY to DS bcuz my surgeon does nothing at my follow up appointments besides ask me how's eating when he could really do that on the phone. He doesn't do any kind of examination or anything. I'm gaining weight very easily. And they aren't examining me at all I'm almost 3 yrs post-op and I have a 8 month old baby.
MsBatt
on 7/16/13 1:59 am

Are you journaling your food? How many calories/carbs/proteins/fats are you eating daily?

The DS is a very good surgery, but revising from an RNY to a DS is THE most difficult revision out there, and very few surgeons can do it. Think carefully, and ONLY use a surgeon on SmileyJamie's list.

PRETTE84
on 7/17/13 3:50 am - ROSEDALE, NY
I will definitely start journaling my food. Also I'm in over eaters annyomous and I'm going to a seminar at the Lenox hill hospital with Dr. Rosalyn, just to learn more info about the DS. And I'm thinking maybe my RNY no longer mal absorb calories like the other person that posted below replied. So maybe I might just need to get my RNY working again.
pineview01
on 7/17/13 3:37 am - Davison, MI

Yes, journaling was the first step to get back losing.  I was surprised by how much and what I was consuming.  I went back to high protein and low carb eating while I was looking to try to save my band one last time.  I was able to get 60 pounds back off with journaling, staying under 1200 calories, under 40 g protein and 80+ g protein and hard physical work.  I ended up losing the band due to the medical problems it caused.

I also have gone into therapy with the sleeve to address why I over eat in the first place.  No WLS with work if we don't figure out our problems in the first place, except maybe the DS.

Having a 8 month old may be part of you issues though.  You went thru many hormonal changes in the last year and a half. About the time the RNY no long mal-absorbs the calories.  So you did get a double whammie.

If you do go for the DS, think very carefully and get the best surgeon as it isn't an easy surgery and comes with the highest complications.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

PRETTE84
on 7/17/13 3:58 am - ROSEDALE, NY
You should try over eaters annyomous it's a very good program. Also I'm on the birth control I'm using the depo- provera shot which contribute to my weight gain. But this is my last shot, I'm not taking it anymore. RNY no longer mal-absorb calories when u have a baby? But I'm gonna start writing my food down everyday. I'm gonna do a lot of research about the DS before I decide.
pineview01
on 7/19/13 5:35 am, edited 7/19/13 5:37 am - Davison, MI

I said you had your baby about the time the RNY stops mal-absorbing calories.  NOT, that having a baby stops the mal-absorption.  You just got a double whammy at the same time.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

PRETTE84
on 7/19/13 5:56 am - ROSEDALE, NY
Oh ok. I have to look up mal- absorbing calories for the RNY. To see when it stops working
pineview01
on 7/19/13 10:57 am - Davison, MI

About 2 years out.

PRETTE84
on 7/19/13 11:07 am - ROSEDALE, NY
Oh ok I didn't know that bcuz I got pregnant when I was 16months post op. if only I knew, I thought I wasn't able to get pregnant. After trying for years. I feel like I cheated myself but something has to been done. I'm gonna keep researching the DS. Hopefully overeaters anonymous works for me.
changed4good2009
on 7/23/13 4:26 am - Waldorf, MD

I'm actually experiencing the same issue. I got pregnant 16 months post op and now my son is 2 years old.  I did fine during my pregnancy; I even lost all of the pregnancy weight except for 6 lbs.  After returning to work from maternity leave I started with old habits.  Once I realized my body wasn't like most people who have surgery and have repercussions from eating the wrong things - I continued with my bad habits. In May 2013 I was at 300 lbs AGAIN - Although not my highest weight (360 lbs) I was still in awe of how rapidly I went from my lowest (229 lbs) to now.  In June I decided to get back on some type of plan. Which now I'm at 284 lbs with the help of a changed diet and appetite suppressants prescribed by my surgeon.  I wanted to try other avenues before the option of surgery again.  I had a c-section in 2006, Rny in 2009 and another c-section in 2011.  I've been blessed to be complication free.  I don't want to risk another surgery at this time...(not saying that I wouldn't do it all again; because I would if I had no choice). I think after being so far gone from doing the right things and using my tool to train myself to eat right before my son, I felt like I couldn't get back on track. But I am determined to do what's necessary to be healthy - whatever it takes. Please keep us posted on your journey.

Good luck.

Kia

Most Active
Recent Topics