Revision from Band to Sleeve Scheduled-less than a week away!

Malg22
on 12/12/13 11:00 pm - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Hello! I am about to undergo a revision. I had a Realize band placed in Dec 2010 and in May of this year, 2013, we realized there was a leak. I had been seeing my surgeon/staff to get at more of a "restrictive" point with the band but for some reason it just wasn't happening. Leak in the line come to find out...removed. So, I'm all set and approved for a sleeve. My surgeon said that normally it takes about an hour for a VSG but since I had the band already it could take up to 3 hours.

Wondering if anyone here is willing to share their experience in a similar situation? How did you recover and did you have any complications? I appreciate the feedback-my nerves are kicking in...

Angie

emelar
on 12/13/13 7:11 am - TX

Angie, you may want to post or search on the VSG board.  There are many revisions from the band and folks will be happy to calm your nerves.

pineview01
on 12/24/13 3:56 pm - Davison, MI

I had my band removed and the surgery was called at 9:15 and was home at 1:30.  I had the sleeve done 4.5 months later as the surgeon had you wait at least 4 months depending on the amount of damage the band did.  They made me stay two night with the sleeve, would have done better at home.  They had to do 45 minutes worth of repair of damage the band did before doing the sleeve, which was another 45 minutes.  The recover from the sleeve was easier than from the band or the band removal.  I have seen some have a hard recovery from having the surgery done in one.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

traceydj
on 12/26/13 10:38 pm

Hey Pineview01..

I have a realize band..i got it in 2009.

I have had it taken loose, stomach pulled down, then band snapped back, that was 2 years ago. I never got to my goal weight. I have had all the fluid taken out 2 times since then. Now I think I have had a slip again..I can throw up on command. I cant eat after 4pm..I definitely cant eat and then lay down or go to bed. Food comes out thru my nose like a faucet. I carry the bulk size extra strenght tums with me where ever I go...so yep..I am going to see my Dr next week after the new year. I want this thing out.  I will ask if I can get a sleeve. I started out at 250..got down to 163...band had to be taken apart and unfilled, i have had boob reduction and tummy tuck..now i am up to 192.  And i can eat just about as much as my 6'2" 280lb husband..lol

I wonder if I can get a sleeve.  well the only good thing is that my boobs and stomach is flat..lol.

Do you like the sleeve better? Is your hair thinning? Can you not eat certain foods? I have not had watermelon since 2009.  My band doesnt like it..it gets stuck. I cant eat grapes, apples or really any kind of fruit unless it is blended in a smoothie.

pineview01
on 12/27/13 11:37 am - Davison, MI

I looooove the sleeve.  If you did that good with the band your should do GREAT with the sleeve.  I never had PS yet, but all the rest of your story is about the same.  Get the thing out asap.  Everyone I know that had one slip ended up with another like you.  The problems will just get worst and come back even if you do get them to stop for a little while.  It almost sounds like you may now have and erosion.  It would take a scope to know for sure.  Many have had the Upper GI/barium swallow and told they had a perfectly placed band.  Than when scoped found out the band was eroding through the stomach and/or esophageal issues.

The sleeve is more natural and no maintenance.  Such a relief after having the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics