VSG or RNY to DS, has anyone done this?

LaToya S.
on 12/30/13 7:27 am, edited 1/5/14 6:24 am - Edwardsville, IL
I am looking into having my VSG revised to the RNY or DS. I am wondering if anyone here has done this? I thought my surgeon would do both parts but have been informed that he will not. <br />
I KNEW I would need two procedures. I have lost a little over 100 pounds in two years with the VSG. And I have lost one size in pants. <br />
I would greatly appreciate any information you can pass along.<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
<br />
LaToya

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/30/13 7:51 am

Since you already have the sleeve stomach, it would be an absolute shame to get the RNY instead of the DS for several reasons. 

You have the first half of the DS, all that is now needed is the bypass part. The DS is the most successful of the weight loss surgeries as far as weight loss, weight maintenance, and resolution of co-morbiditeis.

It would be a shame for them to cut up a perfectly functioning sleeved stomach like you have, take your pyloric valve out of the equation and replace it with a manmade stoma, which would then make you susceptible to dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, and unable to take NSAIDs for pain ever again.

You will be subjected to less surgery and end up with a more successful surgery if you get the rest of the DS, but I'm not sure your previous surgeon has the skill to do the DS. I've heard sewing the duodenum likened to sewing wet tissue paper, and it takes more training, not to mention it already sounds like your previous surgeon wasn't clear or upfront with you. You need a real DS surgeon.

Of course either the DS or RNY will require you to take more supplements and follow your lab work, so make sure you are OK with that since it will be the main difference from the VSG.

Whit
on 12/31/13 7:23 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I agree with Amy. Ad the DS to your sleeve. I would not revise to RNY.I can only speak from my own experience and observations. While RNY works for some it is increasingly failing long term. I revised from RNY to DS. 

Make sure you go to a Dr. who is vetted and known for RNY to DS revision not just revisions as not all Dr's are capable of this complicated surgery.

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/31/13 10:26 am

Just re-read your title, and do you mean sleeve, THEN Rny, THEN DS?? Like DS as the third surgery after the sleeve has been ruined buy making it into the pouch?

In that case not likely. The stomach would have been cut up so much there may not be enough material left to patch the pouch back into a sleeve. 

It would be insane to intentionally to have all three surgeries in this order, and any surgeon that recommended this shouldn't be practicing. It would be more likely that Rny would get revised to ERny, as it's easier on the surgeon, but not as effective, and more prone to problems. 

I hope I understood the question in my other answer, and you still have a sleeve and it hasn't been fooled with yet, as it shouldn't be that big of a deal to give a sleeve the extra oomph of the DS.

LaToya S.
on 1/5/14 6:24 am - Edwardsville, IL
Should be "or" not "to". Trying to fix it now.

LaToya

clpeltz
on 12/31/13 10:30 pm

Revision to DS is the only logical choice when you have the sleeve already.  If you are thinking about getting re-sleeved as well, you will want a very experienced surgeon.  You will probably want to travel to the U of M in MN to Dr. Henry Buchwald.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

LaToya S.
on 12/31/13 11:33 pm - Edwardsville, IL
Thanks for the information so far. I am looking into the DS. I have contacted three facilities that have surgeons that do the DS. I will be making an appointment with one after I do some additional research.

LaToya

pineview01
on 1/1/14 1:55 pm - Davison, MI

As the above have stated, you have the first step the the DS, a sleeve.  I would never get a RNY after being sleeved and messing up your fully functioning but, much smaller stomach.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LaToya S.
on 1/5/14 6:27 am - Edwardsville, IL
Just a quick update. Going to Chicago on the 20th and meeting with Dr. Prachand and Dr. Alverdy about the revision to the DS they are with the University of Chicago and are a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

LaToya

HKFandora
on 1/22/14 5:11 am
On January 5, 2014 at 2:27 PM Pacific Time, LaToya S. wrote:
Just a quick update. Going to Chicago on the 20th and meeting with Dr. Prachand and Dr. Alverdy about the revision to the DS they are with the University of Chicago and are a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

How was it?

Most Active
Recent Topics