VSG to DS as a second stage- rate of loss?

neamom
on 1/18/14 9:14 am

Hi 

I have a burning question that I need a brutal honest answer about .  I had VSG in 2010 and only lost about 40 of the 120 I needed to lose.  I am type II diabetic, PCOS, HBP etc... I have seen a surgeon regarding  DS .  I will of course get the second stage done since my VSG is already complete.  I am concerned with how my weight loss will go, I have heard the second time the rate of weight loss is a lot slower.  Basically it's a lot of risk, and a lot to go through if the outcome is not substantial.  Please help me if you have any info.  I have maintained about  a 35 lb loss but my co-morb are still in full swing

Valerie G.
on 1/24/14 4:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Where is Dr. Aceves when we need him?  He does the VSG as well as the DS, so he may be able to offer up some answers on this.  

Have you posted to the DS board yet?  You'll find some who have done it that can share their experience.  What I've heard is that the rate of loss is slower than a virgin DS, but a re-sleeve will give you that virgin synergy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

pineview01
on 1/28/14 11:15 am - Davison, MI

You may not lose as fast as a virgin DS but, you should lose as fast as with the sleeve.  I would also expect you to lose more.  That said I lost 120 of the 130 I needed to but I was a band first and than a sleeve.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

band2sleeverevision
on 2/9/14 1:18 am
VSG on 02/25/13

I think a DS will more than likely resolve your Type II in short order.....that may be worth the price of admission even without any additional weight loss.

DrAceves
on 2/10/14 9:58 am - Mexico

The weight loss is slower when the DS is done in 2 stages.  The weight loss is progressive in this case but it is still a very effective route. 

If your sleeve is very big or has a lot of fundus it is best if it is  tighten or even redone, if need be;  your surgeon can evaluate this. Some sleeves are so big they need to be redone and others can just be "tightened". It is possible for the sleeve to be too big  even if you are having the DS.  Having it an adequate size will help with the weight loss rate. 

I would encourage you to continue to pursue this option  even if the weight loss is slower. It will help  with your comorbidities and even if  weight loss is not as dramatic  initially,  patients are very happy with the results.  You will just need to be patient with the weight loss.  Enjoy benefits as the come and try not to focus solely on how fast weight comes off. 

I hope this helps.

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

Most Active
Recent Topics