Revision due to severe stricture

HarvestMoon1974
on 2/3/14 2:59 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I was wondering if anyone here has had to have a revision, due to stenosis. I was hospitalized last week, with a stricture so severe, it caused stenosis of my gastric outlet, allowing nothing to pass through. The gastro dilated it 6 sizes, but I am still unable to keep down any solids. I had a previous dilatation a couple of years ago, that worked for a little while. The gastro said he will try one more time, and if it doesn't work, I will need to see a surgeon. I'm very nervous about the possibilty of a second surgery, especially since I now have 2 little ones at home.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

DrAceves
on 2/4/14 7:04 am - Mexico
In my experience  dilation should work to solve the problem.   It may take several  dilations,  usually one is never enough.  It is better to have several dilatations  while gradually increasing  the diameter of the balloon  than one   big dilatation, this  usually causes  scar tissue to form  and  close up  the opening once again.  Some doctors  treat stenosis cases with oral steroids right after the dilation to reduce the formation of scar tissue and also with PPIs. Your doctor might also  recommend   you  take PPIs  for a prolonged amount of time  in order  prevent ulcers or gastritis which may be the root of your problem.     I think it would be premature to consider surgery without pursing this safer  route  extensively. I hope you find this helpful.    Take Care, 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

Steven354
on 3/29/17 2:52 am

I've had ten dialations over five months. They put in a stent which broke loose and perforated intestine Now considering revision surg. Does anyone have experience with this ????. Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics