Band to Sleeve to Bypass?

Jaieni
on 3/19/14 2:39 pm - Bronx, NY
RNY on 01/14/16

Hi all!

I have not been on here in YEARS. I remembered I always found it helpful before so decided to come back on and see if anyone has experienced similar.
So, my journey started in '09 with the band then in '10 I got the sleeve. Best decision of my life.  I did awesome! Until recently. So Fast forward to now '14 and I have gained 45lbs in the last year, always feel hungry and worst, have the most intense heartburn. Prilosec helps immensely, but if I ever forget it, I want to die the rest of the day. The weight gained is also putting a strain on me, as my knees been hurting and I feel just tired all the time. The tiredness is prob due to my anemia though, I have had anemia since well before surgery and continue to struggle with it.

What I want to know is, has anyone had the band that converted to the sleeve and then the bypass?  I contacted a surgeon that works in the hospital I got my surgery who has more experience and knowledge to discuss a possible re-sleeving but he said I should come in and speak to him because if the reflux is that bad I may want/need to consider rny. I never thought I would consider or NEED a third surgery and it's freaking me out. I will of course follow through and speak with him in detail about it all but I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar story.

tdbull
on 3/20/14 7:19 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Didn't go from band to sleeve cuz surgeon said it wouldn't alleviate my reflux. But band to RNY has been the best decision I made and not one bout of reflux since that crap band was removed. Plus lost all my weight and more in under 7 months, so riding this phase and I keep lowering my goal to get to the lowered end of BMI. I would definitely make that appt with your surgeon and hear what he has to say. Good luck to you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Jaieni
on 3/20/14 10:44 am - Bronx, NY
RNY on 01/14/16

Thank you for replying!  What has your experience been with the RNY surgery? Have you experience dumping? What was recovery like?

tdbull
on 3/21/14 9:10 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
If you haven't read my blog, check it out, and my pics. I post updates monthly. I have no intolerances but I don't eat any sweets so don't know if I dump. Sometimes I get nauseas when I eat my protein bar, so thinking more than 5-6g sugar might make me ill. I also don't eat any white carbs like potatoes, bread, rice, etc. I have done much better with RNY than I ever did with the band.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pineview01
on 3/20/14 2:00 pm - Davison, MI

If you already have the sleeve have you thought about the DS.  When you go from sleeve to RNY you end up with something very different than band to RNY or RNY alone.  You are ending up with the worse of the two.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jaieni
on 3/20/14 7:24 pm - Bronx, NY
RNY on 01/14/16

Hi, 

Yes, I know typically that is the "2nd" step but the weight loss isn't my main concern, as it is the heartburn. Which ds won't resolve but the RNY there is a great chance it will. Trust me, I've read the many posts here and typically people push for ds, but unfortunately it does not take care of the horrible heartburn. 

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
Surgery Date: August 5th 2009, Sleeve Conversion Jan 19th 2010, RNY Conversion and Repair 01/14/16
HW/SW/CW/GW /LW
303/225/206/150/169

cindyj578
on 4/10/14 11:37 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

If she has severe reflux, she doesn't need the DS.  Unfortunately, they are finding out the the sleeve can cause severe acid reflux.  I had the sleeve in 2007 and have severe acid reflux.  I have barretts esophagus, ulcers in the esophagus and stomach.  The bile from the liver comes up and into the esophagus.  The only cure is the RNY.  The pyloric valve has to be bypassed.  The RNY was initally for people that had gastric ulcers.  So, the RNY is going to be a better option for people with severe acid reflux.  

airbender
on 3/21/14 12:57 pm

you are in a tough spot...the best for heartburn (if you have a vsg) is rny.  I had killer heartburn, reflux with the band, but my revision to vsg(ds) completely cured that.  do what is best for you, if you decide on rny make it work for you, constant heartburn really stinks

pineview01
on 3/21/14 1:28 pm - Davison, MI

Same here!  I didn't have heartburn before the band.  I'm over a year out with the sleeve and no heartburn. Unless I eat chili and go to sleep

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

DrAceves
on 3/24/14 4:15 am - Mexico

I agree with your surgeon that the best option for revising your sleeve since you have heartburn is the bypass.  If you get the DS the upper part will be left intact so you will not get any relief from the acid reflux.   We have revised several persons in your similar situation ( band to sleeve to bypass)  and the reflux is successfully resolved and the weight is lost as well. 

Best of luck to you. 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

Most Active
Recent Topics