Revision from Sleeve to RNY instead of DS??? HELLLP!

JuucyOne
on 5/29/14 3:20 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

Hey there!

So... I went to see my surgeon for a late 1 year check up and told him I wanted to revise my surgery. I told him I wanted to get the Switch. He told me I would have more issues with the Switch vs RNY. I asked him if I would have to be on meds indefinitely with RNY and he said no, but I would with the Switch.

Mind you, he suggested me get RNY initially because I was on the heavier side. I had gained a lot of weight a year prior to surgery because of a steroid. If I would have known that I wouldn't be on meds/vitamins indefinitely with RNY, I may have gotten it last year instead of the sleeve.

My questions to you guys are did anyone revise from the sleeve to the RNY and/or Switch? Did you have any issues with revision? Was it worth it? Would you do it again? Additionally, I have had anemia problems in the past, which one may be more likely to cause more anemia problems? Overall thoughts? Please HELP!

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/29/14 7:17 am

Your dr is not telling you the truth. Your dr does not actually do the DS, and doesn't want to lose a paying customer. 

What meds exactly, does he think you will require with the DS, and not RNY? If he's going to give you piles of BS, I would call him on it. 

You need to educate yourself, and pick the surgery that will work best for you, not for his skill set. The DS has been proven to not only be the most effective, but especially on those with a BMI over 50. 

You may need a few more vitamins with the DS, but they are mandatory with either surgery. And with iron, it's supposedly more of a problem with RNY because of the pouch and lack of intrinsic factor, but again, I know plenty of folk with both types of surgery that need iron infusions, so I would count on needing iron either way. 

It makes no sense to destroy a perfectly good sleeve, and make it into a pouch, which can come with it's own problems like dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, having a blind stomach (cant be scoped) and inability to take NSAIDs for pain. 

The only good thing, if you can see it that way, is that you have half of the most successful surgery available, so your surgery should be half way done. Your sleeve could remain untouched, and just the switch could be added. Fire that lying or pathetically misinformed surgeon, and find one that actually does all the procedures so you can get some unbiased advice.

MsBatt
on 5/29/14 11:24 am

What Amy said. (*grin*)

Seriously, get a second opinion with a surgeon who actually DOES the DS. You can find a list of them at www.dsfacts.com

Any 'meds' you'd need with either surgery would depend on any medical conditions you have now, or develop in the future. Both procedures would require certain vitamins and mineral supplements, but not actual, prescription drugs. (Although when it comes to 'drugs', the DS would allow you to still take NSAIDs. The RNY wouldn't.)

As for your anemia, depends on WHY you're anemic. If it's iron-deficient anemia, yeah, either procedure could make it worse. Iron is absorbed primarily in the duodenum. The RNY bypasses ALL of the duodenum, the DS bypasses PART of the duodenum.

Before you take anyone's advice, research for yourself. Read everything you can at the link above, talk with folks who are 5+ years post-op with each procedure, especially people who are revisions.

pineview01
on 5/29/14 1:41 pm - Davison, MI

What both the above have stated. I would bet money your surgeon doesn't do a DS and that is why he wants you to get the RNY.  Our center is doing just that too.  Uneducated people are being told the rny is the best revision for them from the sleeve as it is all they do.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics