Approved Sleeve to RNY

SlynnD
on 8/27/14 11:54 am - Pasadena, CA

Blue Cross approved revision from sleeve to RNY. Surgery is Sept 16th. 

I don't know if I failed the sleeve or if it failed me - regained 70lbs of the 100lbs I lost. Hope this is better. 

Zee Starrlite
on 8/28/14 1:18 am

I think you're making a huge mistake in getting an RNY if you have several autoimmune diseases. and you've just gone through cancer to actually get a weight loss surgery where you can not take NSAIDS. You need to rethink that.  I know you consulted with your doctor but ultimately you live with you. You will not be able to take any medications for your pain ,your joint stiffness and swelling.  I would say see if you can fix your sleeve. Make sure you don't have a hiatal hernia because it would fix the acid reflux. You also say you don't know if your sleeve failed you or you failed sleeve. You should reevaluate that as well. You sure have been through so much with the cancer and treatment.  Give your body a chance to heal.  What has your food & exercise been like.

No matter I wish you the very best but I would not even  consider a RNY bypass with my own auto immune issues and I am not one to run to NSAIDS unless I truly need and sometimes I have no choice with pain & inflammation. 

Best, Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

SlynnD
on 8/28/14 7:16 am - Pasadena, CA

Thanks Layla. I can no longer take NSAIDS - even before weight loss surgery. I've researched and while I'd rather have my sleeve "fixed," I don't think it really worked for me. I think I lost weight because of the chemo.

MsBatt
on 8/28/14 6:39 am

May I ask why you've chosen the RNY over the DS? Adding the Switch to your existing Sleeve would be a fairly simple operation, and would allow you to keep your fully-functional stomach and still take NSAIDs.

The long-ter, maintained weight-loss stats are about the same for both the Sleeve and the RNY. Only the Ds has better long-term stats, because only the DS makes a dramatic, permanent change in the way your body metabolizes food. Also, the malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals is permanent with both the RNY and the DS, but the DS also gives you permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat. With the RNY, malabsorption of calories is pretty much gone by 18-24 months post-op, so you're pretty much back to the same 'diet' you'd have with a stand-alone Sleeve.

SlynnD
on 8/28/14 7:24 am - Pasadena, CA

I can no longer take NSAIDS because of issues from years of taking them without PPI. The surgeon who performed the sleeve also told me it was not recommended with the sleeve either. I have bad acid reflux that seems to be getting worse so I've opted for the RnY. My husband had gastric bypass 7 years ago and seems to be doing fine. I realize we are all different. I already have to get B12 injections and take Vit D because of problems.

I admit that I'm a bit concerned about dumping syndrome and the whole malabsorption process, that's why I didn't choose the RnY initially. I have consulted twice about DS and have done research. I hope I'm pre parted - I think I am anyway.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/28/14 10:06 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Congrats on your approval for your revision.  I hope that things go well with you and that you live a very long time.  I was wondering what BCBS Insurance do you have? 

I have BCBS Federal Employees.  I too want to get a revision from a Sleeve to RNY .  I have a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux, it wakes me up in the middle of the night, I take prescribed medication 2 times a day, but it does not work.  

Best wishes to you SlynnD.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

SlynnD
on 8/28/14 12:16 pm - Pasadena, CA

I have Anthem BC PPO. 

Thank you for your well wishes.

annarohr
on 8/28/14 11:11 pm

I just got revised from sleeve to DS.  Turns out the reason why I gained back 70 of the 100 pounds I lost was because my surgeon didn't sleeve the upper portion on my sleeve.  had a half sleeve.  I think that this may be why a lot of people regain after sleeves, if they leave the fundus untouched due to risk or lack of surgery skill, it stretches, and thus fails.

DYFAN
on 9/1/14 1:46 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

I had a revision from Sleeve to RNY on 7/16/2014.  I had severe reflux both acid and bile that was not controlled with PPI twice a day (several different brands were tried).  Since surgery, no reflux whatsoever.  I have Aetna and the approval was pretty easy.

The DS won't help with the reflux.  NEVER thought I'd have an RNY but guess cir****tances change.  I've lost 32 lbs since surgery and have 40 more to go.

SlynnD
on 9/1/14 5:43 pm - Pasadena, CA

Congrats!

Most Active
Recent Topics