Adhesions Pre- Any Abdominal Surgery?? AND Likelihood Post Surgery???

Quanita L.
on 10/15/14 9:06 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi

my second VSG is scheduled 12 November, I recently read blogs I wrote after my first VSG where I said that the doc said I had lots of adhesions (that was my first surgery ever at the time).  So if I had so many adhesions without ever having surgery would you anticipate a lot more now?

is there such a thing as having a propensity to developing them?

I have started my pre-surgery diet 1 week early (and am 4.8kg down already!) is there anything else I could do to make working around in there easier?

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

MotivatedMomma
on 10/17/14 1:39 pm
DS on 10/20/14

My first surgery ever was a c-section.  The doctor mentioned to me that I was very 'fibrous' whatever that meant, and had a few adhesions.  My second c-section was AWFUL; I had so many adhesions, my organs were fused, and the buildup had actually caused things to shift inside me.  I was sure my vsg would have to be open.  However, my surgeon was able to do it laprascopically.  I was so thrilled.

Three years later, my weight loss was only "meh" and I had bounce back of about 10lbs.  I went from 325 to about 250 ish.  It should be noted that the sleeve only got me to about 270.  The rest was a medically supervised liquid diet, adipex and a personal trainer.  FOR 2 Years.  (Obviously the liquid diet was only intermittent).  It was hard, if not harder, to lose than before my sleeve.

So, I had a scope done, and found that my sleeve is mis-shaped, was sutured very crooked (should be a straight line) and, if it weren't for the odd shape and crazy suture line, you wouldn't even know that I ever HAD a sleeve.  In other words, I wasn't lying when I said I had no restriction.  My stomach is huge.

My new surgeon says that with all the adhesions, the only way to truly perform a sleeve revision correctly is with an open procedure.  It makes sense to me.  He has to have the room to clean everything out, and then he really needs to see what's going on.  That doesn't mean you can't get good results laparacopically, it's just more difficult and not as reliable.  Removing all the adhesions would be impossible, especially if your organs have fused together, which is not uncommon.  (My second c-section took 4 hours because of this)

I know that doesn't really answer your questions.  But I guess if you can have a propensity towards adhesions, then yes, I have it.  And if you are having a revisional sleeve, discuss open vs. lap with your surgeon.  Adhesions DO increase over time, and they can be aggravated by surgery.  Be sure you are comfortable with his reasoning if he says laparoscopic is ok.  At the end of the day, you have to trust him and feel good about the surgical plan!

Laproscopic VSG May 2011

SW 325 LW 225

Revision to open DS 10/20/14 with Dr. Lutryzkowski

SW 269  GW 175, Dream weight 140

Quanita L.
on 10/17/14 9:22 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Thank you so much for your response, I think I wanted to find out if something like happened to you would happen to me.  I know it's not unheard of to have adhesions without previous abdominal surgery, but I am thinking that if I already had a few and generally surgery exacerbates it, I am probably going to have more this time.

I have emailed my surgeon and will discuss it with him.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active
Recent Topics