Had my final preop appointment and now i am freaking out.

Sheri R.
on 11/22/14 4:42 pm - Aberdeen, WA

Well I had my final appointments yesterday.  I did the nutrition class and met my surgeon.  Now I am feeling very overwhelmed and unprepared.  My surgeon was very unhappy with my films of my barium swallow.  He told me that my esophagus looks terrible and my hiatal hernia, which I was prevously told was very tiny, is actually huge and my stomach is prolapsed up through it.  He said he definitely feels like he wants to get inside and look around before he commits to band removal and gastric bypass both on the 4th.  I told him that there may very well be an issue with insurance.  My husband's insurance just changed 2 days after I was approved for ths surgery and I am not sure how that will work.  Will I have to go through this entire 6-month process again in 4 months?  Ugh, I am so confused now.  I definitely don't want him to have to do it all at once if he doesn't think my body can handle both surgeries, but I am terrified of having the band removed and then being left hanging.  I will not know the outcome until I come out of surgery that day and all that uncertainly is really getting to me.  I actually started the preop diet yesterday, which also has me feeling icky, and to top it all off things are going absolutely nuts at work.  I sure wish I knew for sure what was going to happen with surgery.  I don't have any trouble swallowing, which my doctor was VERY happy to hear, and he did say that things might not look so bad once he gets in there to look around.  How common is it to get this kind of news and then find out you actually had an uneventful revision when you woke up?  Is it more likely I will have to have 2 surgeries?  I would love to hear from anyone who has been in this situation. 

Hislady
on 11/23/14 9:40 am - Vancouver, WA

You know, this is one of those situations where you just kinda have to sit back and relax and go with it to see what happens. Otherwise you'll stress yourself crazy and there is nothing you can do about it! Your surgeon is aware of the insurance situation so I'm sure he will do everything he can to help there but he won't endanger you just to meet an insurance deadline. So all you can do is work on relaxing because there is absolutely nothing you can do to change anything. Hopefully the hernia is what is causing all the problems and he can just fix that, Getting the band out is really the most important thing, the sooner it is out the the sooner your body can start healing from the damage the band has done! Best of luck to you and really just try to relax, you can't change anything at this point.

Sheri R.
on 11/23/14 2:58 pm - Aberdeen, WA

You're right, Hislady.  I really do need to just let go and let God.  I guess it just caught me off guard and I panicked with the insurance issue.  It will work out the way it is supposed to.  Thanks for the reminder.  :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics