Surgery tomorrow.

Sheri R.
on 12/3/14 2:15 pm - Aberdeen, WA

I can't believe it's finally here!  I have check in at 12:15 pm, which is AWESOME because I have a couple-hour drive (ride) to the hospital.  I am pretty much ready to go minus a couple of last minute things. 

I am so excited to start this new journey.  I am, however, very anxious, as I will not know if I am having a single procedure (band removal and gastric bypass) or a split procedure until I wake up after surgery.  I have been feeling a little like i am in limbo these past 2 weeks.  I very much want to have everything done at once but if I have to wait for bypass I will eventually get over it, lol.  I am definitely excited to not feel like i am starving anymore.  It has been a very long two weeks on this liquid diet.  If anyone out there is a prayer person, I could definitely use a few!  :) 

drh50
on 12/4/14 8:23 am

My thoughts are with you. I am right there in limbo on 12/17 will there be one or two surgeries. They took the last 3cc of fluid out of the band, so hoefully that helps.  Good luck tomorrow.

Sheri R.
on 12/6/14 4:17 am - Aberdeen, WA

Thank you so much, drh50!  I ended up only being able to have the band removed at this time.  I am sooooo disappointed, but I get why he could not go any further.  What should have been a 2-hour surgery turned into over 4 hours.  I had that thick scar tissue underneath the band that is so easy to develop if you have ever been completely unfilled and he had to take that down, plus the thick scar tissue at my port site and a few adhesions.  I think the worst part was the HUGE hiatal hernia.  Apparently my stomach is quite a mess at this point, so we will hold off for 2 or  3 months to let everything settle down.  My doctor told me I should have immediate relief from the symptoms of the hiatal hernia/stomach prolapse, but I didnt think I had any symptoms!  He said it has been too long since I have eaten normally and I forgot what it should feel like to eat, lol.  I am on full liquids for a week and then move on to puree the second week.  After that I see Dr. Hunter again and we will discuss when he bypass should take place.  I hope that once I feel better I will be more accepting of the fact that I cannot have my bypass until next year. 

nelchina
on 12/4/14 11:28 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Best wishes!  I hope everything looks good in there so it can all be done at once.  But if not just hang in there for the second procedure.

HW 285 SW (11/21/14) 268 CW (10/09/15) 188

M1- 24| M2 -6| M3 - 9| M4 - 4| M5 -7 | M6 -7 | M7 -6 | M8 -5 | M9 -5 | M10 - 3

Sheri R.
on 12/6/14 4:23 am - Aberdeen, WA

Thanks, nelchina!  I do know that it would have been extremely dangerous to proceed with both procedures right now.  My doctor said that the chance of a leak grows exponentially when the anatomy looks like mine did.  Better safe than sorry.  :) 

nelchina
on 12/4/14 11:32 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I forgot to mention I am a prayer person and have prayed for you. :)

HW 285 SW (11/21/14) 268 CW (10/09/15) 188

M1- 24| M2 -6| M3 - 9| M4 - 4| M5 -7 | M6 -7 | M7 -6 | M8 -5 | M9 -5 | M10 - 3

Sheri R.
on 12/6/14 4:24 am - Aberdeen, WA

Thank you, nelchina, I greatly appreciate the prayers!  :)

coffeehousegirl
on 12/5/14 7:48 am

Good luck to you! I am having a revision to my sleeve on the 15th. Prayers going your way. 

Sheri R.
on 12/6/14 4:25 am - Aberdeen, WA

Thank you very much, coffeehousegirl!  I will be praying for you, too!  :) 

drh50
on 12/8/14 7:26 am

Sorry, to hear that you had to have two surgerries. I understand.  My surgery is next week.  I did my testing last week and th doctor took the last 3 cc out of my band.  I hope this helps. I want to be safe. But it will be upsetting to me due to my doctor is retiring dec. 31.  My new docotr is going to assist so that will be good.

Good Luck with your recovery.

Most Active
Recent Topics