Band to... Sleeve or SIPS

Amy H.
on 1/15/15 10:36 pm - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

Looking to have a revision this year. Had band in 2006, repositioned in 2013 and finally determined/agreed that the band is fighting me too much. I have always had trouble eating the correct foods and even now with the band empty I get things stuck. Dr said I have a stricture under my band from all the years of battling it. 

So now I am not sure which surgery to go with. There is so little on SIPS and I hate picking the new "fad" choice, but it sounds like a great option from what little info I can find. I like that the dumping is little to none, as I lived with IBS for years before my band surgery (no gall bladder). I don't want to go as far as bypass, so sleeve sounded perfect to me. BUT now there is another option. Any advice for anyone that has switched to either???

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

Hislady
on 1/16/15 4:21 am - Vancouver, WA

Personally after the hell I've been thru with the band I would never do a new type surgery. I did that with the band and am paying for it every day even with my band gone. The sleeve is a perfectly good stand alone surgery and should you need more can be converted to the DS. I would want to see how the SIPPS stands up for a good 10 yrs before even thinking about it. We were all band guinea pigs until 2008 when the actual studies started coming in, only then did we see how ineffective and troublesome the band really was. The manufacturers actually lied to the FDA and left out info in their reports. Never, ever would I trust a new surgery.

airbender
on 1/16/15 9:38 pm

yes this is a difficult decision to make, but like all other decisions, try to make a pros/cons list.  Having scar tissue with the band is actually relatively common, the easily reversible doesnt really apply and is untrue.  Read this post, my response and links, that have picutes about information on that:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/5282147/old-new-larger-band/

You also have to decide why didn't the band work for you, (besides the well established complications) did you lose weight?  etc.  Going from band to vsg is one restrictive to another restrictive procedure.   do you need permanent malabsorption?  only restriction? what about follow up, blood work, vit/mins?   you are right there is not much information about SADI, something else you need to think about.  There are people this forum that have converted from the band to vsg, SADI, DS, and RNY.  try to get all perspectives on all wls types to make a good decision for yourself and you can make your pros/cons list.  Good luck in choosing what is best for you and keep asking questions.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

ShebasMom
on 1/17/15 12:48 am
Revision on 07/05/16

SIPS is the new kid on the block, which is still in the investigational stages (less than 5 years). I've seen posts on here from patients of your surgeon having the SIPS procedure. Do a search and pm these people to find out their experiences.

Back when I was researching, the sleeve was in the investigatonal stages, and now it's been successful for many. I wanted the sleeve (insurance wouldn't pay), but with severe GERD, rny was a better choice. Now I know, the sleeve would have been a failure for me due to metabolic reasons (which is why I didn't lose more with rny and now gaining). I need the continuing malabsorption for maintenance. I'm in the process of a revision to a distal rny.

Good luck in your search. 

Donna

deb K.
on 1/17/15 1:29 pm, edited 1/17/15 1:31 pm - Kokomo, IN

After developing autoimmune response to the band and having to have it removed, I went to the gastric sleeve and so far its been great.  Granted,  I am only 9 days out..  so I can't tell you how the future will be but I CAN tell you that the recovery from the sleeve has been MUCH easier than with the band!  Very minimal pain.  The only nausea I have had was when I tried to gulp too much water at once and when I swallowed my first pill.  But in ALL instances, it passed within minutes.  And there is NO excruciating hunger pangs or heartburn or that feeling of pressure in the chest.  NONE of that.  I am eating very well and feeling NORMAL, unlike when I had the band.  I FEEL NORMAL!   And its great!  And I am already down 19 pounds in 9 days.  So far I think this was the best thing for me.  Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, and everyones experiences are going to be different.  But for me, the sleeve has been a good choice so far.  

Lap Band December 26, 2007

Revised to Gastric Sleevectomy January 8th, 2015

moviemum
on 2/11/15 1:55 am

Hi. Curious.  Did you have your band removed and a sleeve done in the same day? Or was your band removed, healed and then the second surgery took place?

I am a candidate for a removal due to slip.  They would like to do one surgery and removal in one shot.  My surgeon recommended the Gastric Bypass instead of the sleeve because he said the band leaves scar tissue and the sleeve cut is right over the scar tissue and is a risk of leakage.  Sounds like you're fine but why did you go with the sleeve in the end? Was that explained to you?  I'm curious as to why you chose the sleeve over the bypass.

Sounds like you're doing great.  Wishing you the best of luck.

nicolelynn1986
on 3/20/15 11:14 pm - NC
Revision on 03/16/15

Hi, I just had a revision from RNY to SIPS Monday 3/16. My doctor is Dr. Paul Enochs. I have found little info on SIPS but there are several names for it. SADI-S / LOOP DS / SADI DS / Single DS.

I had a nonhealing marginal ulcer and so I only had a few options. I could of had the RNY redone with a new smaller pouch but I would still be prone to ulcers and hernias. ( I've had 2 hernias and 2 ulcers)

So, I chose SIPS. I'm looking for anyone else who has had this surgery for I'm only 5dpo and would love some info.

lmooreingram
on 5/18/15 8:47 am - Greensboro, NC

Hi 

Dr.  Bruce performed my SIPS January 29, 2015, other than a longer hospital stay due to adhesions from previous surgery I am happy with the results so far. Mine was revision from RNY that I had in 1996. I've list 53 pounds and have 50 more to lose to reach my goal. Good luck with your journey. 

nicolelynn1986
on 5/22/15 5:03 am - NC
Revision on 03/16/15

I hope things are going well for you. I am now battling severe acid reflux. I've had acid reflux since 2007. It wasn't an issue with RNY. I'm now 2 months post op with SIPS and it's gotten real bad. My meds only help but so much. I'm worried that I might now have Bile Reflux. I've had a scope done this week. I go back in 3 weeks to go over my biopsy report. I'm soo frustrated at this time. It's always something :(  I've only lost 12lbs since surgery. I have 10lbs left to reach my goal of 155lbs. I wish you the best.

Nik

MsOnie77
on 7/10/17 11:19 am

Hi,

Just wanted to know if there is any update on your progress. I just recently went thru the same procedure and want to know any updates.

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics