2.5 years post op and considering revision

Bchica15
on 4/4/15 6:05 am
with

I had my initial surgery 10/1/12. I was a slow loser, but I was okay with that. By June 2013 I had lost 47lbs. I was working out regularly but was plagued by plantar faciatiis in both feet. We found out in September 2013 I was pregnant. It was a difficult pregnancy and I did gain 40lbs. I have not lost any since the birth of our baby. I have tried going back to shakes and only protein. I just have not done as much exercise as I did post sleeve since baby. I met with a new surgeon yesterday (I had my original surgery in Colombia). I was so thankful he agreed to except me as a patient. I had my surgery report, post nutrionist information and photos to show him my previous progress. He did tell me he has seen this before with pregnancy that it can sometimes stretch the stomach. There is not a lot of research on the sleeve post pregnancy he told me. He ordered a Upper GI. He told me he doesn't want to discuss options until he sees it. I am so thankful that he didn't make me feel like a failure. It is already humiliating enough to feel like I was not successful. As I read through posts on various sites, I see the accusations when individuals ask questions about revisions. I hope that I can give someone else hope that there may be second chances.

If you had a VSG revised to another surgery can you share your experience? It is very difficult to find information on revisions. Thank you!

DeeDee83
on 4/5/15 7:35 am
DeeDee83
on 4/5/15 7:43 am

I completely understand how you feel.  I too had a vsg, 5 years ago, and feel like a failure.  Honestly, i believe my stomach has stretched.  The worst part is that I didn't want a vsg, I wanted a DS, and woke up only the vsg.  Was told that a DS was to be done safely.  I lost a lot of weight, but slowly started gaining the weight back.

I am in the process of finding a revision surgeon.  Hopefully I can get resleeved.  Maybe since it's 5 years later, maybe procedures, technology, techniques on surgery for me have gotten better, I can get the DS.  That, I know is the only surgery that will keep this weight off.  

I too have gone on other forums, told my story and have been made to feel like a failure, or why would I do this again, or why can't I just stick to a diet and lose weight that way instead of going for yet another surgery.

Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey.

Minnie78
on 4/26/15 10:59 am

Hi deedee. Have u looked up dr. Wilhelmy at Mexicali bariatrics? On Facebook  u can get a lot of info. Even on here. He has a lot of experience with revisions. He has 2 procedures for the DS. I don't remember what the other one is called but it's something like a mini DS... Can't think of the name. But check him out. I'll be having a resleeve with him next month. Let me know how ur search goes. Good luck!! And no we r not failures!!

Bchica15
on 4/5/15 8:09 am
with

Thank you DeeDee83. The forums can be a difficult place to search for advise because there are those that come on after surgery asking can I eat this or that, so it is easy to get placed in that boat. I have all my stuff documented and was able to present it to new doctor including charts and photos. He told me I am not the first case of slow loser, post pregnancy with a complete stall in weight loss. We did not discuss my options although he does DS and RNY. Although, I know DS is not what I want to do. I have to be able to prove for insurance purposes that I complied to post surgery requirements. I don't believe they would approve me for noncompliance. I  willing to work with his nutritionist as well to see of I can get back. It is frustrating, so I wish you the best of luck.

carimiller9173
on 4/5/15 11:14 pm - Wilmington, DE

I am a 2x revision patient, 3x WLS patient.  I started with the band in 2009, lost 30 moved and started getting sick with anything I consumed, so I had the fluid removed from the band.  In 2012 I had the VSG, lost 55 lbs, and again moved.  Worked out, dieted for 2 years.  Finally had enough of not losing that I seen a WLS doc in my home state who told me point blank, metabolism screwed and only WLS would fix.  Which is the same thing my pcp and endo told me.  So I went thru the process and on 01/26/15 had revision from VSG to RNY.  I hit a stall on 03/09/15 and have been 303.5-304.0 since.  My Dr.'s office said I would lose weight at a rate of about 2lbs a week, which is fine with me.  As long as I am headed down instead of up. 

Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

Butterfli2005
on 4/6/15 10:54 am

Hi , carimiller9173,  I am out 12 years RNY and have the same type of metabolism as you. I just felt it was so important to drop you a line as I NEVER want you to go down the same roads as you have already. I think you are doing GREAT! but since I screwed my RNY about 8 years ago I am becoming the voice that needs to be spoken to new RNY's... I really really hope you don't take it in a negative way...please please never stop working the program.. you have about a 2 year period where the RNY makes it pretty easy to lose wt. but if you ever break down the habits after that.. it is all gone.. I had a wt. loss of 179 lbs in two years..but then I had family non stop telling me I had lost too much.. I was too skinny, even though my weight to height was right in the magical medical BMI numbers...I eventually caved and started trying to gain weight back..well once the wheel started to turn.. and the weight came back on I could not stop it.. I have now struggled for nearly 2 years to get back to the tool working for me.. and believe me I have tried.. that is why now I am struggling so hard for a revision.. and it is an uphill battle. I never want you to ever have to try again.. 

slvilla
on 4/14/15 7:40 am

Hi carimiller9173., I am 5 years out from VSG and I felt like I was the worst person ever for gaining back my weight and never actually getting to goal. I am starting the process now for a revision. I know all areas are different, but how much would did you have to for your revision? Thank you!

Bchica15
on 4/14/15 11:07 am
with

I have not had a revision yet. I loss 50lbs from  Oct 2012-July 2013. I got pregnant and gained 40. I never had a honeymoon phase the weigh came of with a lot of sweat and gym time. My baby is 10 months and I am not losing. I had a upper gi and barium swallow last week and waiting to talk to surgeon about results. I am suffering from reflux pretty bad, which I did not have presleeve and that is with medicine. I really didn't want another surgery.... Will talk with him and start working with NUT again. But I am not opposed to another surgery. I am just frustrated and tired. 

RizingPheonix
on 4/21/15 11:56 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

Ok I only had my surgery dec 14' but I cant seem to loose weight. I haven't even lost half the weight I need too, yet I'm following the diet restrictions and am at the gym 5 times a week. I really dont know what else to do and considering I've still got well over 100 lbs to loose and I'm going no where, I feel I've made the wrong choice by not having the RNY instead of the VSG. My surgeon didnt feel that my slow weight loss was anything to worry about at my last appointment but the scale hasnt moved since! This isn't supposed to be happening! The level of frustration is beyond words at this point. The greater the amount of weight that one needs to loose is related to the amount one loses in the early stage after the surgery, like the person before, there has been no honeymoon stage for me. Even my husband, who had the same surgery 5 weeks before I did and had only 100lbs total to lose, is almost at his goal. I'm down 60lbs even though I have a total expected weight loss of 235lbs.(approx 60-80 of that being excess skin/flesh) My next appointment is on Jun 9th with my surgeon and I feel its time to talk revision. So any information, at any stage, is quite welcome and appreciated.

Most Active
Recent Topics