Revision from band to sleeve

Frankie Soto
on 4/16/15 10:21 pm - east bernstadt, KY

I am considering revising to the sleeve. I have seen where some advise against it. They said if restriction is the problem don't do it. I may sound stupid but I'm not sure what that means. So what are reasons to convert to sleeve and what are reasons not to? Tia!

Hislady
on 4/17/15 8:46 am - Vancouver, WA

I've never heard anything about restriction being an issue except in the sense of restriction isn't enough for weight loss and they would need a surgery with malabsorbtion like RNY to lose enough weight.

Personally I would say there is every reason to revise to sleeve from band because the band is a horrible device and doesn't help with weight loss for most people. I wish I had gotten a sleeve instead of the band, the band has caused me nothing but pain and misery and hardly any weight loss. There is NO reason not to revise to a sleeve from the band, the sleeve is a very good weight loss surgery and highly successful with weight loss! Most people are very happy with the sleeve, I don't know one unhappy person with the sleeve.

Frankie Soto
on 4/18/15 9:03 am - east bernstadt, KY

I am checking into insurance requirements asap and I think I will do it if I qualify. I have medicaid and I don't know if they will pay for another. 

kim A.
on 4/18/15 12:51 am - Burlington, MA

Back in August of 2014 I went to my surgeon  and had a conversation with him about getting the sleeve and removing the band.  In November of 2014 I had my band removed (down side gained a lot of weight)  On Monday of this week I had surgery and had the sleeve done.  I'm not in much pain defiantly worth it.  I was told that the band needs to be out for at least 2 months so you don't have as much tightening.  Where you band is will not ever go back to the same size from before surgery but will come back some.  I am very happy I made the change.

Kim

slow and steady wins the race.....    
Frankie Soto
on 4/18/15 9:02 am - east bernstadt, KY

I've heard of the local surgeons here doing a revision at the same time of taking the band out. I'm hoping to do it that way.

kim A.
on 4/18/15 9:44 pm - Burlington, MA

My surgeon said he wouldn't do it that way because the band causes scar tissue and there is more chance of a leak.

Kim

slow and steady wins the race.....    
Hislady
on 4/19/15 6:34 am - Vancouver, WA

It depends entirely on the surgeons skill level. A good revision surgeon can easily perform a removal, do a sleeve and remove most scar tissue all in one procedure. Those less accustomed to revisions will need to do it in stages, just a matter of comfort and skill level of the surgeon. Either way works just fine, the tool used for the sleeve leaves a line of 3 rows of tiny staples so if you follow the eating plan and don't stress the staples there is no reason for a leak. The restriction between the band and the sleeve will feel different but still does the same thing.

Frankie Soto
on 4/19/15 7:54 am - east bernstadt, KY

Oh okay guess it will depend on what the surgeon thinks. May be a good thing it was empty my whole pregnancy during these 2 1/2 years and maybe it won't be such bad scar tissue. I keep having problems so it hasn't been that Tight. 

ordersteps
on 4/22/15 12:35 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Excellent advise HisLady.  My surgeon converted my band to a sleeve and cleaned up all of what was there.  He is a skillful surgeon along with prayer, I know I will do just fine.

NeeCeeUSA
on 4/22/15 7:00 am
VSG on 08/03/15

I just got my insurance approval and am having the band removed May 11 and the sleeve on August 3rd.  That is going to be a long period in between but I know this will be the right thing to do.  I had great success with the band but lots of vomiting, not good.  I just want it done and over with so I can move on to the next part of my life and lose more weight.  Funny how long it takes to lose and how quick it comes back on.  I am ready!!

Most Active
Recent Topics