VSG revision to RNY-GB

linda78250
on 4/29/15 2:55 am

Hello ~

I'm new here & am reading posts voraciously! I'm wondering about VSG revision to RNY-GB... and how the recovery might differ. I had VSG @ 2 1/2 years ago & lost a good amount of weight early on while I was still unable to keep much down... once that improved, the weight began to creep on again & I'm allllllmost back to where I started out - at 288 lbs. Meanwhile, reflux became a major issue & when nexium & omeprazole began to not work anymore, I was sent for an upper GI. This revealed a hiatal hernia. Had endoscopy yesterday to confirm. Bariatric surgeon is recommending RNY-GB to resolve reflux. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm reading posts to see how recovery will differ --- any light shed would be greatly appreciated!

Linda78250

Bchica15
on 4/29/15 6:35 am
with

I am in a similar situation. I had surgery Oct 2012. I got pregnant sept 2013. I loss 53lbs with VSG. I gained 40 during pregnancy and haven't lost it. I had an upper gi and barium swallow. I have extreme gerd, a hiatal hernia, and sleeve is distended. I have to still have endoscopy. It is looking like a revision is in my future... Going through the process.

Hislady
on 4/29/15 1:10 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well usually the next step would be to revise to DS but if acid is a problem that may not help. On the other hand the acid could all be caused by the hiatal hernias too and fixing that may resolve the acid issue and then you could go ahead with the DS which from what I've read is superior to the RNY because you get to keep your pylorus. I would find a top notch revision surgeon who also does the DS and consult with them regarding the possibility of going that route and if repairing the hernias would resolve the acid enough to go ahead with the DS.

mornings
on 4/29/15 2:08 pm - Canada

well I can say I am the same as you  had a vsg in 2012   ended up not loosing enough  , had problems with reflux and now im having a revision to rny  may26 with a open surgery   I am hoping it wont be too bad a recovery  as I will be open and packed  not completely closed im told

E C.
on 5/4/15 3:27 pm
On April 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM Pacific Time, mornings wrote:

well I can say I am the same as you  had a vsg in 2012   ended up not loosing enough  , had problems with reflux and now im having a revision to rny  may26 with a open surgery   I am hoping it wont be too bad a recovery  as I will be open and packed  not completely closed im told

OMG mornings, how does the surgeon already know it will be open for sure?  I am 4 days post-op conversion from sleeve to RNY for severe GERD and a narrowing of my sleeve at mid-stomach.  However, my surgeon said she would try to do it laparoscopically, and only resort to open if absolutely necessary.  Turns out she was able to do it laparoscopically but it took about 4 hrs due to a lot of scar tissue, even had some on my lung and liver.  I also had a hiatal hernia repair.  I'm still on clear and full liquids but my Dr has already eliminated the Omeprazole.  I'm just keeping the Zantac @ bedtime till I get on full food to see how I do.  I have not had any GERD since the surgery.

Jenniflower75
on 5/10/15 4:14 am

E.C. I would love a friend request as I'm in the beginning stages of a revision. well not even the beginning stages... still have to see doc. Would love to know your experiences. Thanks

Jenniflower75
on 5/10/15 4:13 am

I'm in your boat. I just posted about a revision from vsg to bypass. I too am having GERD and would love for that to be fixed. I'm scared of the open option but I guess if that's what they have to do I'm all in. I hope to hear from you in PM because I would love to know your progress and if we could do this together that would be awesome. Hope everything works out for you.. Good luck.

linda78250
on 5/11/15 7:23 am

Hello :)

I have a tentative surgery date of May 18 (pending insurance approval)... I assumed that this would be done laparoscopically & not open  --- sounds like I definitely need to ask. Regardless, it'll need to be done --- it would just be nice to know ahead of time. Meanwhile, the reflux continues..... yuck!!

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics