VSG to RYN? Anyone???

Jenniflower75
on 5/10/15 4:05 am

I talked to my nutritionist and she said that my surgeon DOES do this revision. I'm wondering how it is? anyone with experience? I will be making an appointment this week to see if my surgeon will do it and will go from there. I don't have to do the informational meeting again but DO have to jump through all of the hoops again. If I changed my insurance again I could get it done immediately but I'm kind of anxious about doing that. WHat do you guys think? Should I change insurance and skip the circus we all must endure? It was such a stressful time last time I went through it but at the same time could I benefit from it? I'm planning on going with a new surgeon and a new hospital because they offer the after surgery support meetings that I did not have last time. I"m two years out on Wednesday and I'm ready for this revision. I've gained 30 of the 60 lbs I lost. I lost very slowly with my first surgery and started gaining way early in hte process. about 8 months out. I stopped losing at 6 months out and I need the change. I need the help. I need the surgery. When my surgery went bust the first time (by about a year out) I had given up and just started eating whatever I wanted with the exception of booze, carbonated drinks, and drinking with meals everything else went to **** I'm now eating a clean diet and can't lose an ounce. I talked to my old nutritionist and she said I would be a good candidate for a revision. I hope she's right but I'm scared they are going to tell me no. So again I'm looking for advice on this. Can anyone tell me how the surgery went? How the healing went? What kind of success rate you had? Thanks and have a wonderful day.

danielle1964
on 5/10/15 9:11 am

Forgive me, but why on earth would you revise from a VSG to RNY? Why not complete the DS?

Jenniflower75
on 5/18/15 12:27 am

my insurance does not cover DS any longer.. Just starting a new job and they do not cover it. they consider it an elective surgery. The only two options are to get a band around my sleeve which I refuse to do or get RYN with my sleeve. 

Hislady
on 5/10/15 3:26 pm - Vancouver, WA

I have to ask the same question why not go on to the DS that would be the next logical step. That seems an odd choice given that you already have the first half of the DS. If this surgeon doesn't do DS I would suggest finding one that does.

Jenniflower75
on 5/12/15 3:43 am

The malabsorption of the DS scares me. I know there is malabsorption with bypass but from everything I've read it's not as much and I'm starting again as a light weight. I have 64 lbs to lose and with DS scared that I will lose entirely too much.

Star0210
on 5/13/15 12:49 pm
DS on 11/28/14

There are very FEW people who lose too much. 

I'd rather have that worry than the worry of gaining it all back. 

Very common with the RNY.

I don't understand anybody wanting to ruin a perfectly good stomach with functioning pyloric valve to go to a pouchy thing and stoma that will surely stretch out and leave you looking for another revision.

Think really hard about that!!

Chilipepper
on 5/18/15 1:00 am, edited 5/18/15 1:01 am

Excuse me, I beg to differ with you analogy that gaining all your weight back after RNY is very common. You are relatively fresh off the table. Regain is possible with a DS as well. For the same exact resons that a RNy patient would gain. Eating carbs.  Please read up on the DS. While it being a great surgery.  You can eat around it just as easy as any other surgery. You may be given the tool. It's how you use it that determines your success. 

To The OP.  I remember when you went in for your VSG. This information is for you as well. You were given the tool. It's up to you how you use it. Frankly if you are willing to jump through all the hoops for a revision, why don't you jump through those hoops getting a plan to get back on track. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
Recent Topics