From Band to What???

Laurel B.
on 6/1/15 6:01 pm - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

I had a lapband put in, in 2007.  I had complications from day 1.  I was in the hospital 4 days.  My port was placed just under my ribcage and I hit it when I do crunches, have sex, etc.  I never had a fill that even allowed me to swallow spit. I would go in for a fill and be back the next day for an unfill. I lost some weight but gained some back. I'm down about 25 from the initial surgery

For the past few years I have had a lot of pb's. I've ended up developing bad eating habits because of it. The wrong stuff, sugar and flour items go down very quick but nothing good goes down.  Forget pineapple, broccoli, pork, chick etc.  It all gets stuck more than it goes down. I've ignored it and just accepted it as part of life for a long time.  However, in the past few months the heart burn and throwing up has gotten so bad.  The heart burn just sucks so bad.  Nothing works. I have to sleep propped up etc. etc.

I finally saw a doctor today.  I have an appointment for an upper GI Wednesday and a follow up with him on Friday. Lurking on these boards and google searches I think I would want to convert to the sleeve. I'm 240, 5'7" now. I don't think a bypass would be good but I'd love to hear or rather read from others.

Anyone else have a similar story?  Which option did you choose?

5'8" HW:265 SW:235 CW:224 GW:160.

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Jeppa
on 6/1/15 9:38 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

Hi Laurel, my story is similar but different. I was banded in 2009 and did great with it. About a year and a half ago I started developing symptoms similar to yours and also developed bad eating habits. Since then I've gained about 45-59 lbs. between that, and the constant pain and discomfort, I am just miserable! Last year it was discovered via an upper GI scope that I had a hiatal hernia. My dr would only fix it if I allowed him to remove the band and then he said I needed a revision because without it I would gain all of my weight back. I am 295 now, before I was banded I was 408. No thank you!  I am having that surgery tomorrow. I am going with the RNY because he said I wasn't a great candidate because of the hernia and the constant acid reflux. 

I hope oped they give you some solid answers after your procedure next week!

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

Laurel B.
on 6/2/15 8:26 am - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Thank you for your response. I hope your surgery goes well. I look forward to going to the upper GI tomorrow and finding out what is going on.

Laurel

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

michele1
on 6/3/15 7:21 am
Revision on 07/07/15

I had my band in June of '08. Lost 90 pounds in a year, kept most of it off (5 up down ect.) till 2011 when I got a bad blockage and had to have the fluid removed, never got back to that restriction level or weight without dieting. Then in 2012 had to have what the fill removed again due to colon cancer surgery so they could put a gastric tube in me. Well forget it after that, heartburn, never getting to restriction but yet vomiting with certain foods.

Finally had a upper GI and the results showed esophageal dilation and a minor slip, so I was told the band has to come out. 

I have decided to go with the sleeve even though it will be self pay, Tricare denied the sleeve but will pay for the removal. I did very well with the band when the restriction was right so I am thinking that I will do well with the sleeve also.

My Surgeon suggests that if someone had a restrictive procedure prior and didn't lose all the weight that gastric bypass is better but I didn't fail my band my band failed me. Plus I am only 30 pounds from my lowest with the band with another 10 to goal.

He stated that Tricare would have paid for the bypass but the reasons for not wanting the bypass in '08 haven't changed and I don't want to do something just because it is free. So I am going to beg borrow and consider stealing (jk) to get the sleeve.

Called yesterday made the first payment (they wouldn't schedule without payment) and my date is July 8. So ready for it to come.

I am sure you will make the right choice for you and OH is a great place for information. I have also been checking out the sleeve board and was also reading the bypass board before I made my decision.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Laurel B.
on 6/3/15 10:02 am - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not sure why the bypass scares me so much but it does. I had the upper GI this morning. The techs wouldn't tell me anything but I have a pretty good idea what I saw.  To me it looks like a major band shift.  The band was sideways and there were basically 2 different large pouches of fluid going down.  I'm guessing it's the esophagus dilation and band slip. I don't honestly feel I failed the band even if this is a result of me over eating.  I really feel that the band failed me.  I never had that full feeling.  Never had restriction.  Every time I had a fill I couldn't even swallow. The thing never worked right for me.

Oh well, based on what I saw I'm guessing my only option will be the bypass since going to a sleeve after dilation is not likely from everything I've read. I still have the doc followup on Friday.  A Part of me just wants this whole adventure to be over and not to get a revision and another part of me is telling me I have to do one.

Good luck to you on getting the money together for the surgery.

Laurel

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

michele1
on 6/3/15 10:38 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Don't worry until you see your surgeon and get the results. You are correct, my surgeon did tell me that due to the dilation that the sleeve may cause chronic heartburn not always but it could. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem revising to the sleeve for me. Heartburn was only an occasional problem for me and I don't have any now (of course I have no fill either) so I am going to go through with the sleeve. I just can't wrap my head around the bypass for some reason.

Keep us posted and good luck on Friday, and try not to worry too much.

GoDawgs1979
on 6/8/15 9:34 am
On June 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM Pacific Time, Laurel B. wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not sure why the bypass scares me so much but it does. I had the upper GI this morning. The techs wouldn't tell me anything but I have a pretty good idea what I saw.  To me it looks like a major band shift.  The band was sideways and there were basically 2 different large pouches of fluid going down.  I'm guessing it's the esophagus dilation and band slip. I don't honestly feel I failed the band even if this is a result of me over eating.  I really feel that the band failed me.  I never had that full feeling.  Never had restriction.  Every time I had a fill I couldn't even swallow. The thing never worked right for me.

Oh well, based on what I saw I'm guessing my only option will be the bypass since going to a sleeve after dilation is not likely from everything I've read. I still have the doc followup on Friday.  A Part of me just wants this whole adventure to be over and not to get a revision and another part of me is telling me I have to do one.

Good luck to you on getting the money together for the surgery.

Laurel

I have a hiatal hernia, and it looks like a bulge/pouch above the band.  I was sure mine had also slipped, but it has not and I just have a hiatal hernia.

Riah_G
on 6/11/15 7:15 pm - Maple Valley, WA

I was banded in 2007. Lost 120 pounds and then decided to have another baby in 2009. During pregnancy, my band slipped and I had to have emergency surgery while pregnant to have band removed. Over the next 4-5 years I gained about 135 pounds. 6 weeks ago I was sleeves and the difference is amazing. No throwing up! That was daily for me with the band. The weight is coming off and I am so pleased with how things are going.

Most Active
Recent Topics