Lap band to sleeve - should I get lap band out first?

DonnaMaria
on 9/30/15 2:42 pm

Hi. I just got my letter in the mail today. My surgeon recommends I get the band out first, wait two months and then get the sleeve. My husband doesn't like the fact that I will be having two surgeries. 

Anyone else have the band out first? How long to recover from getting your lap band out?

Nic M
on 9/30/15 3:32 pm

I'd assume that your surgeon knows what's best. Revisions are often done in two separate surgeries to give your body time to heal so you don't end up with leaks. 

It depends on how much damage the band has caused. If it's "just" scar tissue, hopefully your body will recuperate quickly. If you have more extensive damage, it may take longer. 

Best of luck to you. Hope all goes well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Karen D.
on 10/1/15 10:36 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On September 30, 2015 at 2:42 PM Pacific Time, DonnaMaria wrote:

Hi. I just got my letter in the mail today. My surgeon recommends I get the band out first, wait two months and then get the sleeve. My husband doesn't like the fact that I will be having two surgeries. 

Anyone else have the band out first? How long to recover from getting your lap band out?

My surgeon says he will do mine in 1 (if I get approved).  I trust he'll do a good job, but told him that if it had to be done in 2, I'd be ok with that.  I'd rather be cautious than have complications. 

Are you having problems Donna?  I had an upper GI last week that showed I'm having some kind of spasm.  Official diagnosis I have no clue yet what it is, but I was relieved to have it happen at the test because I've been telling everyone about this for several years. 

Good luck with your revision.  I'm hoping to hear about insurance decision soon.

C J
on 10/2/15 12:34 pm - , TN

I had so much trouble with my band, that I didn't want to take chances! My sleeve surgery is set for Dec... I have had my band out 3 years. I guess I really wanted to be safe. HA! Seriously, it was more for my mind to recover than my body!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

DonnaMaria
on 10/2/15 3:01 pm

To answer your question, I had an episode the other night. The doctor is concerned that since I had my band for 9 years that I probably have a lot of scarring.

I will listen to the good dr and get my band out first. Besides I hear it can be pretty painful coming out!

C J
on 10/3/15 5:50 pm - , TN

I really didn't have pain with the band removal!!!! I was so glad to have the "spawn of Satan" out of me!!!!! I really had to do much emotional healing....probably more than physical. I understand that the sleeve is everything we were promised the band would be. I am so ready now!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Loosinw8
on 10/4/15 3:32 pm

I just did a lap band to sleeve in one surgery and all went well. You should get a second opinion.

MovieFreak1977
on 10/4/15 8:16 pm

Hi there, I am scheduled for my lap band to sleeve revision at the end of this month. It will be one surgery. Although with my band, I don't have erosion, mine is leaking in the band around my stomach and can't be replaced, hence the revision. I'm really looking forward to getting the revision. I've gained about 40-45lb since my band started leaking at the beginning of this year.

Felicity Q.
on 10/5/15 10:19 am
DS on 09/28/15

I recently (last week) had my lap-band taken out and then had the Duodenal Switch surgery done at the same time. I did not have evidence of an erosion or slippage of the band; just a lot of scar tissue that made my DS surgery take longer than anticipated.

When I was first doing my research and work regarding getting a revision, my major concern was that I only wanted one surgery. Unless you have major problems with your band now (such as an erosion, leak, slippage) then doing a lap-band to VSG in one surgery doesn't seem like a big deal. Get a 2nd surgeon's opinion, IMO.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Most Active
Recent Topics