PLEASE HELP

vroberton11
on 10/29/15 11:22 am

I had the RNY Feb 4 2009 I lost 150 pounds I have since gained all my weight back. I am battling infertility and have been told that my only option is In Vitro Fertilization. BUT I can't have that till my BMI is at at least 42 I am at 60. PLEASE help me understand the revision process and how it works, Thanks in advance.

Valerie

airbender
on 10/29/15 4:06 pm

the first question that will come up will be why did you gain the weight back? Is there something wrong with your pouch? Once you know then you can decide if a revision or conversion is for you. You would go to the dr and you and s/he would talk about the best options for you and if surgical intervention is the best next step. good luck in your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

JA
on 11/2/15 8:32 am - East Haven, CT

Although I have not had a revision, I do know two folks who have, and the surgeon said it was a dangerous surgery. I agree with others who may ask why did you gain your weight back. I STILL (11 years out) go to see a therapist, who happened to also have a RNY every other week to keep my "head" in check.

Good luck to you!

Shotrod64
on 11/26/15 3:48 pm - Spanaway, WA
I think part of my regain was not eating but once or twice a day and when I did it wasn't anything good for me. I also stopped going to support groups and they seemed to help a lot with keeping me on track and what I should be doing at the front of my mind.

I am not working on getting a revision from sleeve to DS. I just changed surgeons to get a second opinion on it as one said DS, the first said distal rny. I saw the second one was a fill-in for the rny surgeon if you are wondering why I didn't just go with the ds one.
I only lost 60lbs with the sleeve and needed to lose 150.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
MsBatt
on 11/29/15 10:59 am

At five years post-op, the RNY and the Sleeve have pretty similar results, so I don't see revising your Sleeve to an RNY doing you much long-term good. The Ds has the best long-term stats, hands down---and you've already got half of it.

Go to Facebook and join some of the DS-specific groups. Talk with some folks who've been living with their DS for 5+ years. Talk to some folks who had an RNY and wound up getting a revision to the DS.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 11/29/15 3:01 pm

Hi shotrod, I'm just south of you in Oly/Lacey. We are a bit screwed with surgeon choices here, and used to have Srikanth in Seattle, but I heard he's switched to the SADI/Sips thing, and I wouldn't do that.

I suspect you know it's idiotic to cut up a sleeve into any sort of RNY, and that you had a surgeon with limited skill (like, all he is capable of doing is RNY) tell you that. I'd run from any surgeon that said revising a sleeve to RNY or Erny was a viable option. 

That said, is there any chance you are military? (It says you are in the Spanaway area, and many there are stationed at Ft Lewis). There are some good surgeon choices if you are military, otherwise, I'd head to CA and see one of the surgeons MSBatt suggested - Rabkin or Kesheshian. 

MsBatt
on 11/29/15 11:02 am

with a BMI of 60, I strongly urge you to consider getting a revision to the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size---but especially so for those with a BMI greater than 50. However, there are only a handful of surgeons who are capable of performing this most-complex procedure, so odds are good you'll have to travel to get it done. I suggest Rabkin or Keshishian in CA.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 11/29/15 3:08 pm

For the same reasons she stated, I second either Rabkin or Keshishian. Those are the ONLY two I'd consider for this revision. 

The only thing I'd add is that the DS is also the best at helping those of us with metabolic issues, which are often a factor with infertility. That said, many of us find ourselves VERY fertile right after surgery, despite not having lost much weight yet, so you need to be careful to use several methods of birth control until it's safe to get pregnant.

Most Active
Recent Topics