protein shakes

cmcelfish
on 11/16/15 12:54 pm

I get confused with what protein product to use . I do know when is much better than soy. I get confused some people use protein power to loose weight some use it to bulk up to grow muscles. My Dr. Office suggest primers shakes a liquid . I find primers to be pricey  it has 30g of protein and 1 G suger . Does anybody use anything else anybody use power protein. I am trying to figure it out I am on a fixed budget so sostbis an issue. I have been using equate shakes from Walmart like slimfast but Dr. Office not a cannot them says it is weak on on required needs. Any suggestions thanks joe

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/15 3:00 pm

Slimfast and Boost and similar products can be very high in carbs and low in protein. Firstly most people say if you are using a whey protein be sure it is the isolate not the concentrate as that is easier to digest (better bang for your buck). The people  you are referring that use them to bulk up use higher carbs shakes mixes and a higher concentration to the amount of liquid. I like Unjury which you can only buy on line. But my local drug store also has some quite acceptable ones. I like the body lab one the best of readily available in teh store products. Drug store ones can be found in sale at decent prices. Walmart even has some that are not too bad. Vanilla seems to be the most flexible flavor accepting  fruit, peanut butter and other flavors very well. After a while chocolate gets boring. I will sometimes use strawberry over a little cereal. I find the ones you mix yourself keep me full longer. I have no idea why. I mix them with 2% milk. My neighbor uses everything from full fat milk to water depending on the brand of shake. If you hunt around on line some co's offer free (or shipping only) samples. I was on a 2 shake and then one full meal (including salad) diet for about a month before surgery before a few days of clear liquid. After surgery shakes are your food for a while. Best way to get protein in when you are on full liquid and even as you go onto creamy food. Sometimes you may not feel like eating much even when you are allowed to, as you heal. Then you can boost your nutrition by mixing shake powder  with other things say cottage cheese. Unjury does a chicken soup flavor but I find it salty as I have been on a low salt diet for several years. Good luck trying out shakes and finding ones that fit your budget.

cmcelfish
on 11/16/15 4:10 pm

Thank you for the information it clears up lots. Hope you are well.  Joe

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/15 4:18 pm

Keep those questions going Joe. I will help all I can.  Neighbor is here now. Just asked her for her favorite protein powder and she said Body Labs. We get it at Rite Aid but Walgreens and other pharmacy's night have it. She has also said Sams and Costco only carry the high carb ones except the ready made Premier Protein....which still cost more than making your own. She aims for 2 grms of carbs to 15 of protein.

cmcelfish
on 11/16/15 6:30 pm

see if I got this straight we want high protein low carbs low suger low fat. I have been going over these sites for hours  few have the perfect numbers  and the price range is all over the place Old Grandad or Jack Daniels is starting to look good to mix the power with. If I understand it right you have better weigh loss with 30 gm of protein than you do at 15 gm.of protein?  High suger high carbs and high fat is bad. OkI will have to start taking notes. I guess my dietitians will give me a quote on this when I see her

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/15 6:48 pm

Unfortunately Old Grandad and Jack Daniels are not recommended as mixers..sorry! It's Easier than you think....high protein, low carb (means low sugar sugar is a carb)......mix it with something that is not full fat (like whole milk) or water. If you want to make it more complicated later you can do so by adding other things but just start with a high protein, low mix. You will have a NP or Nut to help  you learn all this.

cmcelfish
on 11/16/15 7:31 pm

Owell I though I came up with a new and exciting way to loose weight .. Seriously thank you for the help I going to Walmart Wed.I can see what they have again thanks.   I guess volka is out also?

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 4:37 am

You could fill your vodka bottle with water and kid yourself after all it is colorless and has no smell. You wouldn't miss the taste mixed with your shakes. Oops you might miss the after affect..sorry!

cmcelfish
on 11/17/15 9:34 am

I think I found a protein power at CVS. CVS brand whey 2 lb 23 servings 26 G protein 2 gm suger 9 gm carbs 2 G fat 170 cal or 240 with skim milk and chocolate. It's $21.79 CVS lots of times has 20% sales onntheir brand. How does this sound please?   Joe

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 10:07 am

Those stats do not sound bad at all. 9 grams of carbs is a little more than some people would like but it is far from a critical number. I think Boost and some of the Ensure type things are over 30 grams of carbs. The sugar though listed on its' own should also be included in those carbs..so the 9 grams of carbs should include the 2 grams of sugar you don't have to add them on. Total calories with milk isn't bad. You may find you try a few before you find one that you enjoy. Some of the shakes are almost chalky (yuk) and some are very smooth. My daughter loves an all plant based one and I can't stand it LOL! You can also look on line and see if you can find the same product cheaper. I've bought protein powder on ebay. Also even though it seems pricey remember you will not be eating and paying for reg food at that point. You are doing good!

Most Active
Recent Topics