Revision!! Lap Band to RNY! Help!

SOCOCHIC1014
on 1/4/16 10:44 am - Shady Side, MD

Hello everyone! I am scheduled to have Lap Band to RNY revision surgery on 1/19/2016 :)

I am excited and relieved to have this finally get completed but am nervous about the pain afterward. 

Anyone wanna share their story with me? The most painful spot i remember from getting the Lap Band put in was in the port area, it makes me super nervous about it getting taken out.. 

:)

Zee Starrlite
on 1/4/16 5:09 pm

I had my band taken out 6 months before being sleeved and YES it was that port area that is most uncomfortable.  I think the surgeons truly rip apart our stomach muscle when they attach and detach that stupid port.

I too had port replacement right after my band (4mos?).  It was so uncomfortable then too.  Prior to having my band removed, my doc required Xrays - can I tell you that there were all types of clips everywhere.  They looked like butterfly paper clips! WTH!  

One thing I will tell you is that you will be glad to move on with your life after the band.

Good luck with everything!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

SOCOCHIC1014
on 1/7/16 5:39 am - Shady Side, MD

Thank you!!!! Thank you!!! This is such a relief! :)

Eve
on 1/6/16 9:30 am - Randolph , MA

Hello there.

I had the same done back in 2010.  There was some discomfort but really not that bad, I was sore from the incisions, but honestly felt 100% better getting the stupid band out. One thing I did not like was the drain that was left in and then getting it taken out I didn't like that at all, it wasnt pain per say I just didnt like the feeling.

Everything will be just fine!!!

Eve

I had initially Started this journey 5 years ago when I weighed 233 lbs height 5'2" BMI was 42.8. I lost alot of weight after being banded, but the the weight crept up. I had Revision Surgery 3/31/2010 to RNY  I took some time away after getting Married and having two kids but now I am On my way again!!!! 

SOCOCHIC1014
on 1/7/16 5:40 am - Shady Side, MD

I can not wait!!!! I need this thing out!!! Thank you#@!

Hilarious
on 1/6/16 4:20 pm - Coram, NY

Hi. I had my lapband removed and revised to gastric bypass on 10/29/15. The surgery was supposed to take 1 1/2 hours but wound up taking 3 hours because my port was anchored down tight with mesh. My surgeon said she had to chisel it out of me! Despite that I was out of the hospital by 4pm the next day. I was definitely sore but didn't need to take pain meds once I got home because it really wasn't bad. I walked around my house for a few days and then did short walks outside for 15-20 minutes. I was able to go out and run errands 4 days after surgery and felt good. I returned to work by working from home after a week and then back in the office the following week (I have a desk job). I was a little more tired than usual but my job was very good to me and I left early a few days those first two weeks back in the office.

I really started feeling good by weeks 3-4 and was able to return to exercise (my favorite, hot yoga) at 5 weeks post-op. It could have been at week 4 but the incision where they removed the port had a fluid pocket collect there which leaked for a few weeks and had to get drained twice by the surgeon. She said it's very common as there's a space in my stomach where the port was and the body was trying to fill the space.

The worst part of the surgery for me was not being able to sleep because I sleep on my side and I couldn't for a week+. I found an old post of mine after the lapband surgery in 2007 and I complained about the same thing then.

Good luck to you!

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

SOCOCHIC1014
on 1/7/16 5:40 am - Shady Side, MD

This was a great read! thank you for explaining! I am going to be so happy to get this thing removed! 

bella.chella
on 2/3/16 11:34 am

Hi,

I was wondering how your weight loss has been going since your revision surgery. I am looking to get a revision from band to rny and I've heard stories that you don't lose as much weight or you lose at a much slower pace.

Thanks for any input.

TrelawneyDawn
on 1/7/16 5:33 am - Houston, DE

Hi!

Like Zee, It will be six months between getting my lap-band removed and getting the by-pass.  I got my lap-band taken out on December 22 and I will have the by-pass middle of June.

Removing the lap-band was a breeze.  They discharged me just 1 hour after I woke up from anesthesia.  I didn't even have to take any pain pills.  They took out the port at the same incision site when they put it in.  That area was just a little tender.  It took about 2 days for me not to have pain when I touched the incisions.  The hardest part for me was more psychological.  I find that I have to be even more mindful about what I eat and how much.  It's wonderful not having the pain and reflux when I eat anymore.  

I wish you much luck!  I'm sure you'll do fine.

Dawn

?When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.?
 -  Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

SOCOCHIC1014
on 1/7/16 5:42 am - Shady Side, MD

I am so happy to hear this!!!

My anxiety is slowly going away... i will start to let my excitement replace the anxiety! 

Thanks!!!  I cant wait to be able to eat... something... and get less reflux! 

Most Active
Recent Topics