Question about pain from surgery for those that had a lap band to a vsg or just a vsg

judeloren
on 2/25/16 10:57 am

Hello, I was just wondering about recovery. I had a lap band before and the spot where They put the port was sore for a really long time. When they removed it i had no problems and when i had my gall bladder out it wasn't to bad either. I was wondering about what to expect with the VSG. Ive seen several videos and almost everyone says the incisions are what hurts them.  I wonder if the stomach has alot of nerves that signal pain? did anything hurt on you other than incisions?

thanks

DonnaMaria
on 2/25/16 4:45 pm

Hi. I had my surgery three weeks ago. I also had the band first. I was really scared about the pain. 

When I woke up from surgery I found out I was staying an extra night due to a lot of scar tissue from the band. I admit I was in a lot of pain when I woke up. No incision pain for me. I had pain in my chest area between my breasts. The pain mess we're not keeping up with the pain so I requested someone from pain management. They hooked my up with a pump which did the trick. BTW from what I've read most doctors use the pump.

i had my surgery on a Tuesday and volunteered on that Saturday for a couple of hours. The pain for me was worse with the band. 

Best of luck to you. 

judeloren
on 2/25/16 7:30 pm

Thank you! Good to know it is short lived. I don't think they do a pain pump at my dr. My friend had a bypass recently and she was not on one. She looked Misrable and  that's what scared me. After my gall bladder surgery i woke up hurting a lot and they said my oxygen was to low they couldn't give me Meds. Then when they did they didn't help for a couple hours till they changed Meds then it was ok.  That was not fun.  

I remember hurting for a while with the band when ever I moved. Thank you so much for telling me your experience! 

jimbivens
on 3/4/16 11:27 am - Northwest, LA
Revision on 03/01/16

I had band to sleeve conversion Tuesday.  I was hurting when I woke up in recovery and they gave me some pain med.  When I woke up in my room about 2 hours later, I just had some mild discomfort.  I was surprised at how well I felt. I was expecting lots of scar tissue, etc. since I had already been through two lap band slip repairs. Spent one night in hospital and came home.  I've not had any really bad pain, just some mild gas pain and a little soreness.  Good luck!

judeloren
on 3/4/16 12:52 pm

Thank you for telling me your story! I hope it is the same for me! I can't wait!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics