Revision RNY to DS

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 9/27/16 9:56 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I went to one surgeon and he rejected me out right due to my history of depression (which is stabilized on medication)...I went to a second surgeon and he had me do an upper GI and said he only does revisions if there is a problem with the innitial surgery, however he gave me names of two surgeons that might be able to help me with a revision from RNY to DS...I have an appointment with one of them on October 21st...I don't understand why this is so hard...I've been actively seeking a surgeon to help me since June and I'm getting really frustrated...all I need is for my depression to get the best of me while waiting...anyway thanks for reading

hollykim
on 9/28/16 8:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2016 at 4:56 AM Pacific Time, Christine Knorr Wiatrowski wrote:

I went to one surgeon and he rejected me out right due to my history of depression (which is stabilized on medication)...I went to a second surgeon and he had me do an upper GI and said he only does revisions if there is a problem with the innitial surgery, however he gave me names of two surgeons that might be able to help me with a revision from RNY to DS...I have an appointment with one of them on October 21st...I don't understand why this is so hard...I've been actively seeking a surgeon to help me since June and I'm getting really frustrated...all I need is for my depression to get the best of me while waiting...anyway thanks for reading

it is a very difficult surgery and only a handful of surgeons do it. Be glad your less skilled surgeons rejected it.

why are you wanting to revise if your rny is still functioning with no problems.

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 9/28/16 8:33 am - Ventnor City, NJ

I am wanting to revise because I lost 220 pounds in 9 month post-op and then started gradually gaining the weight back...My pouch has stretched out and my body has adjusted so it is considered not functioning properly :( weight regain is one of the qualifiers for the RNY to DS revision...I know only a handful of surgeons do it and it's a difficult surgery...the 2nd surgeon I had a consultation with referred me to 2 other surgeons that he knows does the procedure, one in the state I live in and one in Pennsylvania...I'm willing to travel, that's no problem...I can understand the 2nd surgeon rejecting me because he doesn't do that particular procedure but the 1st one to reject me due to depression, that's absurd to me :( Thanks for responding to me :)

Gwen M.
on 9/28/16 4:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm confused since it sounds like the surgeon DIDN'T find a problem with your RNY?  How do you know your pouch has "stretched out?"  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 9/29/16 10:03 am - Ventnor City, NJ

What I was trying to say is that problem with the original RNY is not the only reason for an RNY to DS revision.  Weight gain is one of the reasons so I do qualify for the surgery, it's just finding a surgeon to do it for me...the second surgeon I met with will only do it if there was a problem with the RNY.  I know my pouch has stretch out because I can eat a whole lot more then I should be able to and I've had 2 Upper endoscopes in the last year and both showed that it stretched out.

tsbmiller3
on 10/3/16 11:22 am - Ramona, CA

Hi I am in the same boat as you are, I had RNY lost all my weight and then some and did great keeping it off for 10 years but five years ago, I started to put weight back on it was slow at first but it piled on towards the end and now I am heavier than I was in the very beginning. I have a surgeon that will do mine but my insurance is denying me because my BMI is not high enough??? Hello people morbidly obese is not good enough. Are you self pay or have you not even gotten that far in the process? Thanks for your post, makes me feel like I am not so alone in all of this.

Tami 

Mai23
on 9/28/16 8:20 am

It's a really complicated surgery, and I can only think of a handful of surgeons across the country who do it. That's probably why you're having such a hard time. But I'm glad you seem to have found a couple people willing to talk to you. Good luck. 

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 9/28/16 8:36 am - Ventnor City, NJ

I'm so grateful to the surgeon that gave me the 2 possible surgeons that may be able to help me...he said he knew that they both do the RNY to DS revision...I just hope my history of depression doesn't hold me back. That would be double depressing :( :( :(

Tammi H.
on 10/6/16 11:44 pm

I live with depression and anxiety and a few other Heath issues. Went to university of Washington bariatric clinic, had tests done, was told ,(after almost 10yrs since run surgery) that surgeon tells me I need surgery, but it's  a waste of his time for I will just sabotage it, I was so offended, and mad. Then why a yr later in a town 35 to 50 miles give or take I got seen by the surgeon in June, on Sept 28th they called me to report I've been approved by both medicaid and Medicare, just waiting to see if I have a test to get done, blood work, and then surgery will be scheduled. So keep the faith, don't allow your depression get you or I should say get the best of you.?

Good luck with everything, if you need a friend or another friend through this, it is just fine   contact me,  feel free to, but just do what you can to keep your chin up.

Most Active
Recent Topics