3rd appeal worked but not sure I picked right kind of revision

karenyt
on 4/23/17 4:52 pm - Renton, WA

My first insurance request for a revision surgery was filed mid-July 2016 after many meetings and tests with surgeon and other drs and blood tests since 1-2016, first refusal said at 305 lbs I had not proven I was overweight, appeal filed, second refusal said I had not seen a psychologist for referral which I had several times and included all with request. Third and final appeal made and just got approval this week 4-2017. Long hard work and now I am not sure I selected the right Dr or type of revision. My Dr selected gastric sleeve from my stretched out any...as this is his specialty. I now wonder whether I should have asked for DS from a different Dr. I can't change now without starting ALL over and this approval for sleeve would expire before I heard again at this rate. Any thoughts between the sleeve and the DS appreciated and any thoughts on what I should do?? I am 65 years old and want to feel good soon and for life. I am also being treated for binge eating disorder BED. Thanks

Gavin B.
on 4/24/17 6:00 am - Orlando, FL

What was your original surgery?

karenyt
on 4/24/17 6:05 am - Renton, WA

My original surgery was RNY about 12 years ago

Karen

Gavin B.
on 4/24/17 6:29 am - Orlando, FL

Mine was 10 years ago but only lost 35% of my excess weight. I am also looking for a revision. This is what I know so far. You can have RNY to DS, only a few surgeons do convert to the original DS. You will have travel out of state. You will see a few here that advocate for this surgery because apparently is the most effective. I can't travel so this is not for me.

Other surgeons can convert your RNY to a modern version of a DS. There are good testimonies about this but long term scientific data is not available. They have to revert your RNY and convert it to a sleeve (I think this is what you are having), then they can complete the DS. They can do this in 2 surgeries, sleeve first, then the switch. Some surgeons do the two at the same time.

If you have a dilated pouch, they can resize it and make it small again. This is what my surgeon is going to do with me. This can be done laparoscopically (usually covered by insurance) and endoscopically (experimental and investigational for some insurance companies).

The surgeon is only going to suggest what he is capable of doing. This is what mine did. :-(

White Dove
on 4/26/17 5:29 pm - Warren, OH

Hate to be a naysayer, but if you did not lose enough with RNY, you probably will not lose enough with a sleeve that will remove the malabsorption from RNY.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

karenyt
on 4/29/17 10:26 pm - Renton, WA

I admit to the same concern you mentioned about not losing weight with revision sleeve from rny but no one prepared me for the dramatic weight loss and real-life eating needed let alone the eating disorder I have to work with as my surgeons and weight loss program closed just after my 6 month check-up . I had no support and didn't know what to do so I tried to deal with too much on my own.

This time I be smarter and better prepared with support.

Karenyt

Most Active
Recent Topics