I got approved! VSG to Rny

Lauriesparkls
on 4/29/17 7:16 am

So, I got a call from my Dr. office and they said I've been approved for my surgery since my GERD has gotten so bad. I had my sleeve done back in 2009, and had been doing awesome staying at between 108-110 pounds (I am 5 feet). This past year though my reflux has exploded and I've gone up to 145 and keep gaining no matter what I do. I feel miserable. So they scheduled me for jun 28, that's the soonest since I am taking a summer course. I was wondering how everyone does with the surgery/recovery? Is it like the first time around? And how is eating different from sleeve to rny? It seems like I am able to eat anything now, and would love to feel restriction again. I can't wait to get rid of this horrible GERD but am super nervous! I would love to hear y'all's stories! Thanks!!

MsShawna
on 4/29/17 10:00 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi Lauriesparkls congratulations on getting approved! I wish you much success on your journey.

Lauriesparkls
on 4/29/17 8:21 pm

Thanks! It's such a gift!

Kristi T.
on 4/29/17 7:51 pm
Revision on 05/22/17 with

I am in the same boat as you. My surgery is May 22nd. I would also like hear any stories as well. Thank You.

LilySlim - (5DdT)
Lauriesparkls
on 5/1/17 10:05 am

Good luck!!! Please let me know how it turns out!!

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 4/30/17 6:35 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Yay for getting approved! Part of me kinda wishes my surgeon would do the revision since I'm having reflux issues pretty bad, but he wants to try 3 months of Carafate first to see if that helps heal the esophagus. Some days the swelling i feel in my esophagus is bad and other days its tolerable. Guess I need to exhaust all my options first. I'll be interested in how well you do after surgery!

Lauriesparkls
on 5/1/17 10:05 am

I felt like I have tried everything to get rid of it. I hope this does the trick! I'll let y'all know how it goes!

QC_Blondie
on 5/1/17 8:29 am
Revision on 05/23/17

Congratulations! I am in the same boat as you and my revision was just scheduled for May 23! I will keep you posted on my recovery after. My surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet prior so I'll be starting that next week. I am so excited to get rid of this GERD as well! Good luck to you

Lauriesparkls
on 5/1/17 10:03 am

How funny, they wanted to do mine on the 23rd but I couldn't because I was in school. I hope all goes well for you! Please let me know how it goes!

stacyrg
on 5/1/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY July 2016 because of severe GERD. I had a great recovery. For me, the revision surgery was so much easier than my initial surgery. I was in the hospital for 3 days (my choice) but was up and walking the first night. I've noticed very little difference between my sleeve and RNY with respect to eating. The only food I have issues with now, that I didn't with my sleeve is quinoa. No matter how many times I try, it doesn't sit well with me. Also, my portion size seems to be a little smaller than with my sleeve, but now that I'm close to a year out, it seems to be catching up. The biggest difference is that I dump. I had the sleeve of steel. I could eat anything; nothing made me sick. Now I dump on carbs and fat. I've even dumped on protein. Dumping for me is a rapid heart rate, extreme sweating, shakiness and fatigue. That's the only part that sucks. On the bright side, my GERD is about 90% resolved, and I was able to sleep flat in the hospital immediately after my surgery. Let me know if you have any questions; i'm pretty much an open book!

Most Active
Recent Topics