Revision

ShoreToLose
on 5/13/17 7:03 am - Brick, NJ

This is long....

Had RNY 7 years ago. I lost a total of 113 lbs. Then once I got to where I wanted to be, I never calculated how much effort it would take to stay there (diet wise). Exercise wise, I was spot on. But diet started to slide. Every other month cheat meal turned into once a month then once a week the one meal a day. I was factoring in the body's set point too. Where after a large weight loss the body will regain weight to re-adjust it's internal set point. And I kinda justified the weight gain as that. Plus when I was in my "big" weight loss days, all I was doing was cardio, Spin classes, running and Shaun T type workouts at the gym. And I felt and looked great. Then I got back into weight lifting. Then I fell back into my old ways."You wanna be big, u gotta eat big" mentality. Then I was doing all the pre-workout drinks, post workout drinks. Getting up in the middle of the night to have a protein drink, etc. I was taking in like 200 grams of protein a day. My NUT said that is why too much. Ur not in ur 20's anymore and ur a post weight loss surgery patient too boot. And we all know u can't out train a bad diet. I got up to about 215. After trying many times, doing the 7 day pouch reset and all, I just couldn't get to lose anything.
So I went back to my surgeon and he said my pouch size doubled. Which I thought was normal. Considering after surgery it was only the size of a shot glass. So anyway, before things got really outta hand I was approved for a Revision. I asked him what would be done, and nowadays, he did a kinda Sleeve on me. He removed that "Candy Cane" part of the small intestine where he say a "second" stomach can form when too much food is pushed through the Stoma into the part of the small intestine that connects to the Stoma.
Also, they removed a large part of that old exsisting stomach and just leave a small portion for digestive enzymes and to cut down on the production of Ghrelin.

So I went from 285 to about 167 back to 220.

I would just be happy with getting down to 185-190.

And yes, I blame myself for this and am so disgusted. That's why I was surprised BC/BS approved me again. I was so prepared mentally to do it the first and only time but those old habits just crept in. I think some of the biggest mistakes I made was:
1.) Stopping measuring my food and just "eyeing" the amounts.
2.) Too much protein. Too much of anything is just added calories.
3.) Too many cheat/reward meals.
4.) Eating crap I swore I'd never touch again like fast food.
5.) Not going to support groups.

Working out isn't the issue. I still mountain bike, hit the weights, walk, hike. It was all diet.

1st Goal: 190 lbs. - Achieved 8/3/2010
2nd: Goal: 165 lbs. - `Achieved 11/2/2010
Gavin B.
on 5/13/17 1:28 pm - Orlando, FL

What kind of revision are you getting?

ShoreToLose
on 5/13/17 1:34 pm, edited 5/13/17 6:37 am - Brick, NJ

Basically a Sleeve without the pyloric valve. My surgeon told me that a "second" stomach formed under the Stoma and that's why I was able to eat more. He made my pouch smaller, and cut out that candy cane (he calls it) near where the Stoma is connected. That's where that second stomach formed. I don't know if u every saw the photos of an RNY after surgery. And he removed the old dormant stomach. So hopefully that will cut down on the Grehlin production.

Ladytazz
on 5/13/17 11:12 pm

Are you considering a second revision? Personally one was enough for me. Your body really doesn't need that much slicing and dicing done to it and if you weren't able to stick with surgeries one and two what will be different with number three?

Instead of putting your body through all that trauma again have you considered getting counseling to help with your food issues? All the surgery in the world won't help if you continue to eat badly. It's like getting a liver transplant if you are an alcoholic. If you keep drinking you will blow out the new liver and the next one and the next one.

Instead of treating the symptoms you need to treat the problem and the symptoms will go away.

It's not easy and I'm not making light of it. I've been there. Giving up overeating and eating junk is very hard work but it must be done before any WLS works for us.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ShoreToLose
on 5/14/17 7:27 am, edited 5/14/17 12:29 am - Brick, NJ

2nd Revision? No. RNY 2010, Revision May 10, 2017.

Ladytazz
on 5/15/17 1:21 am

Sorry, my misunderstanding. There is nothing wrong with revisions if they are needed. I just worry about people that have multiple revisions without dealing with the root cause.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ShoreToLose
on 5/15/17 4:59 am - Brick, NJ

I hear ya. Multiple Revisions? Is that even possible to get that past the insurance company?

Betty S.
on 5/15/17 7:10 am - Mesa, AZ

oh, thanks for this! I'm a whole lot just like you (except for the exercise part) I had RNY in 2009 and maintained my 90 pound weight loss for a long time, but it seems like suddenly I'm 30 pounds heavier. I can see the reasons, exactly what you did, I did.

you give me hope...

betty

ShoreToLose
on 5/15/17 1:30 pm - Brick, NJ

So u gained about a third of ur weight, and I gained about a half. And this is what I have never been able to seem to get a straight answer on. That whole "honeymoon" phase of 24 months. Why 24 months? People said it's the amount of time it takes for the intestine that now connects to the Stoma for it to grow new villi, that was bypassed, thus starting to absorb calories. My PA said that's BS. Because if that's the case, why do we have to take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of out life? U mean the intestines after 24 months will absorb more calories, I.e. Protein, Fats & Carbs but not vitamins and minerals? Seems weak to me. I think its just a case of the body readjusting its set point, after a big weight loss and regains weight and looks for that happy medium. In my case, I used that as an excuse why I was gaining. But it was mostly poor choices.

Good luck

karenyt
on 5/15/17 11:10 am - Renton, WA

I am just like you too as I had a rny in 2004 and lost over 100 pounds but got sloppy with my food and regained all. Arthritis set in at my knees and walking is very difficult so it is hard to exercise excep****er and I love that. My surgery center closed when I was under 1year so never had any follow-up and found out through therapy I have an eating disorder which I am now under treatment for...binge eating and compulsive overeating.

Met with new surgery center and about a year after applying finally got insurance approval...three denials and appeals!! Surgery scheduled for June 1st and my doctor is doing sleeve but in two surgeries...first to reverse rny and remove hiatal hernia and second on August 1st to do sleeve.

Was yours done in one surgery and Dr said I may need later revision to DS...did you consider DS?

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics