Gastric Bypass revision due to stricture of gastrojejunostomy

ChegraHall
on 9/23/17 8:54 am
Revision on 11/08/17

I had a laproscopic RNY back in 2005 (Dr. Weiner, Germany) and only lost roughly 60 pounds from the surgery. Over the years, I have had a considerable amount of heartburn and GERD and have gained all but about 10 pounds of my weight back. I am having a revision (Annapolis, MD) on November 8. The doctor says my revision is due to stricture of the gastrojejunostomy. He says my surgery will be laproscopic with six small incisions and he will be removing a portion of my stomach so that my pouch is smaller.

I have not been able to find a lot of information on this type of revision and am wandering if anyone else has had this procedure and their weight loss following. I am really nervous. My next appt is not until Oct 24, and I am so anxious I can't wait till that long to get more answers.

Any input????

Scared.

ljbarbara
on 9/23/17 4:01 pm

I've had a stricture at the gastrojejunostomy juncture, twice. Both times I had the stricture dialated on an outpatient basis with no incisions involved.

I don't blame you for being nervous. It's always unsettling going into the unknown, especially when it involves having surgery. I don't blame you for not wanting to wait until the 24th to find out more.

IMHO, you would feel better if you just bite the bullet and call your surgeons office and get the information you need. His nurse should be able to explain everything to you over the phone. I'd be sure to ask what he means by making your pouch smaller. (Pouches are really small as is and it's the length of the intestine that's bypassed that regulates weight loss through malabsorption.) Are you being revised to DS?

I am absolutely not a professional and certainly don't know everything about WLS. I'd be interested in learning more about your procedure if you wouldn't mind getting back to me when you find out.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you with what you are asking about.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

ChegraHall
on 9/26/17 8:58 pm
Revision on 11/08/17

Thanks for replying

I had called the first time and had to set up an appointment to speak with the doctor. I went in and was giving the information I have now but after researching and not being able to find a lot on the procedure, I have more questions. (of course after the fact). He didn't mention revision by DS. Gonna do as you advised, call the office and see if I can get more information on the procedure I'm going to have.

Thanks so much

ljbarbara
on 9/27/17 3:33 pm

Good. I'm glad you are going to call the office. You have every right to be fully informed about your surgery. Let me know what you find out and how you are doing.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

burchs
on 10/19/17 5:40 pm - TX

How do you know you have stricture of the gastrojejunoostomy and what is that. I'm just curious because I had the gastric sleeve in 2007 and didn't lose that much and in the last year I've gained most of it back and feel like crap. I went to the seminar in Annapolis and was told they didn't do the revisions there but then called back and was told one dr does at times for certain reasons but not for weight gain. So my question is how do you know you have that and how long have you been going through the process this time for the revision. Thank you for any information you may have.

Most Active
Recent Topics